I like cars but not car dealers

Yup!
It is indeed an act. Even worse is when they try to keep you there for an extended period of time by…misplacing…the keys of your potential trade-in.
Some sleazebags at a Honda dealership tried that tactic with me, and my response–as I pulled out a cellphone–was, “okay, you have ten minutes to find those keys before I call the police”.
They managed to locate the missing keys within less than 5 minutes, and I exited, never to return to that place.

That’s how you deal with bad dealers. I have relatives who’ve had extremely bad experiences with the cars they’ve owned and the dealer…but keep going back. They wrongly assumed they all were like that. They aren’t. Doesn’t matter what manufacturer…you’ll find good and bad dealers. When I owned my Pathfinders…the closest Nissan dealer near me was a total sleaze. I drove 20 miles past him to buy my new 98 Pathfinder. Very pleasant experience and have nothing but praise for them. Dealers need us a lot more then we need them. They don’t want to treat me right - I walk…And then tell all my friends about it. I know for a fact I’ve cost Team Nissan at least 4 potential sales. Very small amount…but it’s a start.

1 Like

@OldcarsRbestI The last time I shopped at a dealer was 16 years ago & I found a way to beat the talk to the manager game. The salesman used the talk to the manager bit & walked past 2 office’s & turned iinto the 3rd door with a sign that said customer wating area came back 3 min. later & said no go.I told him to bring manger out so we could discus it together.he went back to the wating room. I walked out before I got of lot salesman & manager both reached me. Manager asked what was wrong. I asked manager if salesman talked with him about the deal I wanted to make & he said no. I told him I woud not deal with a lying salesman. He said he would get me another salesman & would stay with us & he did . Ended up with a much better deal.

1 Like

That exact same thing happened to me once. And my response was the same as yours.
What they didn’t realize was that I’d only given them a spare valet key. I could easily have driven off anyway. But I was NOT going to let them pull that on me!

So, as an example, I have asked for a final quote on a specific new car with the VIN/etc. After many e-mails back and forth, this is what I get;

"Thank you for your response. I would love the opportunity to take you out on a test drive and see how you like the vehicle itself. I am confident we will be able to get you into the new car at payments that are best for you.
_ _
It is the end of the year so it is definitely the best time to come in to meet with me and get your vehicle at a great price.
_ _
I am going to be very honest, as I am with all my clients, when someone has not even taken the vehicle out for a test drive there is little my sales managers will be able to do as far as a quote. When there is a commitment from the client to be in our store is when my managers will get very aggressive with pricing. We are a smaller dealership compared to most so we are able to be more flexible and are not going to lose your business because of price on the vehicle."

You think you got problems OP! Listen to this story. My gf and I were browsing at a new car dealership that sells a very highly rated brand in a lot of demand locally. It was a sunny afternoon, so we thought it a good time to browse. Gf was looking to buy a medium priced new car and was just getting the lay of the land, and asked me to come along for another view. The salesman walks up to us, we ask a couple of minor questions about the inventory, he spends maybe 2 minutes with us, then he says “Are you going to buy a car today?” I reply “can’t say, we’re currently looking at what’s available here on the lot”. Then he says " I only have time to help customers who are going to buy a car today." And walks away.

That’s hysterical!
To quote John Wayne (one of his characters) “Life is hard: it’s even harder when you’re stupid”. This salesman’s life must be really, really, really hard! :grin:

The salesman was quite frank with you or perhaps he recognized you. A salesman doesn’t collect an hourly wage, if you are kicking tires during prime hours he wouldn’t want to spend much time with you while he watches other customers pass by. Sometimes salesmen choose their customers.

Back in 2006, I went to the Chevrolet dealer near my house that had three Chevrolet Uplanders that were advertised as program vehicles. I was in my old 1978 Oldsmobile and had on my work clothes. I was there at least 20 minutes while the older salesmen were having a conversation among themselves and completely ignored me. Finally, a younger salesman came up and we discussed the vehicles. I checked them over and decided which one I wanted. I did want my wife to see the vehicle and she was out of town on a recruiting trip. The next day I went back, but drove my 2000 Windstar and had on a sport coat and tie. The older salesmen swarmed all around me. I asked for the salesman I had talked to the day before. I was told it was his day off. I said I would come back the next day and I would only deal with him. Suddenly, the salesman I had dealt with the day before appeared. I took the vehicle for a test drive and picked up my wife at her work. She approves of the vehicle, so I stopped at the credit union, had a cashier’s check drawn from my savings account for the agreed on price and drove back to the dealer. There was no trade-in as we were selling the Windstar to our son.

3 Likes

And often customers choose their salesman!

Everyone who likes cars thinks they’d be a good car salesman. But the washout rate is extremely, extremely high. Few actually are. It’s never a good idea to in any way alienate any potential customer. There are ways to excuse oneself without doing so. Until I’ve done some preliminary screening in the showrooms, I always tell the salespeople I’m browsing. One that suggested he couldn’t be bothered with me because of that would not see me for the final negotiations.

I agree 100% with your statements

When I was at the dealership, there were only a few salesmen that managed to hang in for the long haul

One guy’s approach was to “corner” the Chinese market, because he was from mainland China, and many customers felt comfortable dealing with somebody who looked like them and spoke their language and/or dialect. From what I hear, he wasn’t greedy. He made his money on large volume, not trying to gouge every customer. He wanted to make quick sales with a modest profit, so he could be ready for the next customer.

The other “lifers” took much the same approach . . . make their money by moving lots of units, at a modest, but fair profit

Our service director told us that everybody walking around the lot is a potential customer, so be on your best behaviour at all times. He specifically made the point that ANYBODY, even some guy in grungy jeans and sneakers, might be looking for their next new car.

Agree with that. That guy in jeans might be a plumber making more than that lawyer in his nice suit. Thing is these sales people are just humans the same as everyone else with the same job pressures and misguided opinions, so like they like to say in New Joysey, “give 'em a brake” or break.

1 Like

Just so you are aware, the only people who pronounce “Jersey” as “Joisey” are the undereducated folks from the outer boroughs of NYC. Similarly, the cretins who cavorted on the TV screen on the program “Jersey Shore” (and who couldn’t pronounce most English words correctly) were from NY.
Go figure…

People in New Jersey really do know how to pronounce the name of their state.

2 Likes

Unless that $388 document fee includes the next year’s license and/or other taxes, then it is what dealers call a “pack”. Some states do that, so dealers must collect it. Mine doesn’t. I don’t know whether that’s pack of lies or pack of wolves, but in either case, if the license and taxes aren’t included, it is ALL profit. I have gotten away with refusing to pay it.

Walking away works very well, if one is capable. Don’t EVER show up at a dealership driving a new rental car and admit that you just had an accident and the other guy’s insurance is only going to pay for the rental for another day or two. Then they know you CAN’T walk away, or you will be walking very soon.

Don’t be afraid to negotiate.

The best advice you’ve heard is to do your research as to what the car is really worth. NADA.com or KBB.com are good.

Also, get the prospective car checked over by a disinterested third party’s shop. It will cost you something, but it will be money well spent.

+1
When I walk into a car showroom and see an extra sticker on the window of each car, listing some trashy appearance items and an invisible wax coating and/or fabric protectant, I always ask, "Is it possible to buy a car from you without a Dealer Pack? If the answer is “no”, I am out of there within seconds.

1 Like

Most of our new vehicle purchases have been ok and some did require more than a little negotiation. I did go to see one new car and saw an extra sticker on the window ( ADP $550.00 ). I knew what it meant, additional dealer profit, I said that has to come off before we go any farther. They refused so I just left but I was not mad or offended and a few years later we did buy a car from that dealership.

1 Like

Well I found what I was looking for and bought it.
Mazda 3 base model on a kia dealers lot. Been there awhile so they negotiated on the price. The service records sold me. 1 owner bought locally and serviced by the dealer. Oil changes around 7500 miles, regular coolant changes and brakes and power steering systems flushed as well.
A little rust in front of the rear wheels but nowhere else. Manual transmission and no power locks or Windows but that’s what I need. A work car. Might have paid too much but the service history and clean title means something to me.

1 Like

Oh and 121000 miles and the dealer gives a 3 month 3000 mile Warranty on all used cars. 100% coverage for parts and labor. That also helped sell it.

If I was you, I’d pay a shop to rack the car and thoroughly check it out, especially for rust, considering it’s already visible

Somebody with absolutely no connection to the used car dealer

In 03 I bought a ford ranger new listing at $16.5, with all the discounts was $10,500. Manual trans, basic truck, salesman says let’s see what is on the used lot, wow we have an 02 with 35k miles, same basic truck for 12k, are you interested in test driving it? Uhm no, thanks, I’ll take the new one.

1 Like