I hope that my jeep likes rotellate 10W30 diesel engine oil

…because it was significantly cheaper than the other brands of 10W30.

Your Jeep called… It LOVES IT. Said it has a piquant Blackberry flavor to it as well.

Blackbird

It loves the taste of sulfer and zinc on its sliding surfaces. Keep it up.

I hope your Jeep is a diesel. Otherwise, I’ll look forward to your posts when your engine collapses totally from bearing seizure.

No offense meant, but you’re crazy to do this. You should get that stuff out of there immediately, including replacing the filter, and refill it with the correct oil.

It’s summer and we don’t need to worry about cold starts. Diesel oils have different additives like extreme pressure additives. They also have a lot of the same ones as gas engines.

Some of these oils are multi-use and good for both gas and diesel.

However, I would change it out when convenient and go back to the spec listed in the owner’s manual.

Rotella oils also meet many car requirements. Rotella T meets all these standards:

So as long as your Jeep is 2010 or older (which is covered by SM) you’re fine.

1990 4.0 L str-6cyl

My dad used Rotella oil in all his vehicles and never had a problem. He used to buy the stuff by the case for his Kenworth and just used it because it was handy. I was partial to Castrol because I used to race in my younger years and everyone in my racing circle used Castrol. I still use it.

I believe there won’t be a problem.

I’m running 5w-40 Rotella synthetic in my 1994 F150 with the (flat-tappet) 4.9L I-6. It loves it…and I think Rotella should do well in your I-6, too.

While it is MARKETED as “diesel oil,” it’s actually a dual-rated Heavy Duty Engine Oil, with both API “S(x)” and “C(x)” ratings. This means it’s good for both gas and diesel applications.

One quirk is the extra ZDDP these oils have. While a legendary anti-scuffing additive, it tends to poison cats IF it gets to them (I.e. don’t use in an oil-burner). Of course, overly-cautious types typically advise “not for use in gas vehicles with cat converters” because of this–when in truth you’ll be fine if your oil control is up to snuff. The ZDDP is highly sought-after for those of us driving OHV vehicles with sliding, not rolling, cam/valvetrain interface.

I used Rotella T in my diesel Olds. Used to buy it by the gallon and used a couple a month.

Using the current gasoline engine oils in older sliding tappet engines will hasten their death. The elimination of ZDDP and sulfur compounds in modern oils was done to lengthen the lives of catalysts but is wears out cams, pushrods and rocker arms. It was assumed that the older engines with sliding followers and the older style ball-and-socket rocker arms had been replaced by ones with roller followers.

Those of us with older cars and motorcycles with flat-tappet cams and carburetors are being forced to find work-arounds for motor oil and ethanol laden fuels. Diesel engine oil is a great alternative and non-ethanol bearing, 90 octane gasoline is available where I live to help deal with these issues.

I have three jeeps (one is a 91 Cherokee 4.0L six) all on Rotella, several Chevys as well as a fleet of Dodge pick ups, 360 V8, 318V8, gas engines as well as diesels. None with less than 200k on the clock, several 300k+. I buy it by the 55 gallon drum at the farm store. (mechanic 45 years) Rotella is rated SM ( multi-viscosity, not the straight grade) which means it is just fine for older spark ignition engines. The straight grade works great in my Detroit Diesels (4-71, 3-71, 6V71). I use Rotella in the Cats I maintain (3516 - 2MW gens). It is a good quality oil at a fair price.

Agree with what others have said about Rotella. It’s great oil but may foul your catalytic converters and/or oxygen sensors over time. I would not use it in a gasoline engine with modern emission controls. If your engine has excessive blowby or uses (burns) any oil, the process will likely be quicker than on a new engine. However, even diesel oils have less ZDDP than they used to, to avoid poisoning the emission controls on modern diesel engines. Reading some of the postings online, it looks like some people are diehard ZDDP fans and still like to use a small amount in their modern engines, apparently with no ill effects. So probably no harm done (yet), but I wouldn’t use Rotella for every oil change.

Here is an article on ZDDP: automotivemileposts.com/zddp.html

And a forum where people are discussing the benefits/problems: forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261518&highlight=zddp

I appreciate all the input.

does anyone know why the rotella was cheaper?

I got a gallon and a quart of the rotella at its regular price and it was a few dollars cheaper than the 5 quart bottles of the brands that were on sale at Advanced Auto.

I use Rotella T1 standard grade 10w30 in my 1941 Oldsmobile and it works pretty good.

A few years back it cost more around here.It works really great in older small engines.
@Tre La-what do you have that uses a a 3-71?I ask because I have a friend who was seeking a 50s model Chevy or GMC truck that was specially fitted with a 3-71-Kevin