I have a 08 Ford Edge. Hit by lightning/computer out

O8 Edge, pulling out of parking space and felt like transmission was going, like a brick dropping in front end when I changed gears (automatic) and then stepped on pedal and car reved but went no where. Then it did go in to drive. I was almost home when I noticed speedometer not working, and airbag/tire pressure lights on. Also on left side of dash a small wrench was lit. Towed the car to mechanic, he said he thought the car had been hit by lightning, or the computer had just been fried somehow. I had to tow it to ford dealer and now I am awaiting diagnosis?

Did you jump another vehicle or was your Edge jump started?

No problem starting, got it into drive after a few tries it went forward. The tow truck driver could not get it to move forward in d.

With all the modules in a modern car, a lightning strike would scramble more than just the transmission control module. I think the TCM is fried, but the ECM, Engine Control Module, appears to be working fine. Maybe a hard re-boot by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes can help. But, if the flash memory is scrambled, that will not help.

I think the light with the wrench symbol is your warning light for the ECU telling you that there is a problem with the car and that you need to get it in for service. You also stated that the speedometer wasn’t working and there was signs of a transmission shifting problem. Those issues might be due to a speed sensor problem. The shop will check the ECU codes and TCM codes for clues to the problem. Hopefully it is just a problem with the speed sensor and nothing more serious.

thanks will wait to hear from Ford.

how expensive is all this?

If the dealer says it was hit by lightning maybe your comprehensive insurance would cover it. Computers are big bucks! There are a few of them in your Ford, ECM, TCM BCM, ABS…

It is hard to say what the repair bill is going to be without knowing all the details of the issues. A speed sensor replacement would be around 200 dollars as a guess on my part. The transmission issue is the biggest concern I think and if there is something seriously wrong there that isn’t going to be a cheap repair. These issues may also be just due to a simple power connection problem. That can make things look really bad when in actuality it is a pretty simple issue, as long as the shop realizes what the real cause of the trouble is and doesn’t throw needless parts at the problem. A true diagnosis of the trouble is needed before repairs should begin and is how good techs earn their money.

Yes, I am afraid I am going to be taken to the cleaners as the ford dealer usually tells me I need all sorts of things done when I go for my routine oil changes. I go to my trusted mechanic and he says nope not necessary.

I don’t really buy into the lightning strike theory. Offhand this could involve a transmission/speed sensor/electronic throttle body issue but there’s not enough info to even make a guess at this point.

If the PCM (computer) is bad and if your vehicle has less than 80k miles on it they should be able to warranty that under the Federal Emissions Warranty.

I’m right with you on the lightening theory @ok4450. Having power connection issues to some things like the ECU and others can certainly make it look like the car was hit by lightening. Though as we know, that won’t fool the savvy tech.

Well the mechanic asked but thinks it just went bad. We were having a storm while I was in the store though.

If you can pinpoint the storm and lightning, time and location, it might be worth talking to your agent. Normally you would be driving and the hit would be obvious but if it was ok before and not ok when you came out of the store, and there was a storm, might be worth a shot.

It would be helpful to us if you could give us any error codes the ECU or TCM are showing.

the mechanic said that he plugged it into his diagnostic computer/machine and it just all the lights starting blinking he was clueless and said take it to ford that is all I know. It is at ford now.

Some folks give up when things like that happen even though the cause of the trouble could just be due to a simple connection problem to power. The trouble just overwhelms them. When they have a good basic understanding on how to work on electrical issues like this the problem becomes less intimidating. Using a logical testing method, a factory wiring diagram for guidance, along with the proper test gear, it will usually get you to the problem in fairly short order.

It would be good to know which lights the tech saw flashing. I would assume he was talking about the dash warning lights when the ignition power was turned on so the error codes could be read. If that is so then power to the ignition switch and ground need to be checked out.