I drive 50000 miles a year

None of the rentals I do have that catch, for business or pleasure. Business is defined by our GSA contract, but I get better personal deals with AARP, AAA or using one of the top six car rental companies’ websites, with the same set of conditions. I have rented for two or more weeks at a time, with true unlimited mileage, no mileage limits.

Unlimited up to 500 mi is an oxymoron, as well as poor marketing to me…

I have noticed that east coast rentals don’t want folks to cross the Smokey Mountains, or slap special surcharges if you must, but when I go out west, none of the companies cared if I went to California or to Texas, for example, if I rented in Arizona. Same way with Utah and Nevada.

I’d like to see if there are any restrictions for LONG term renting. Most I’ve ever rented a car for was 3-weeks. I’d be very surprised if they would rent out cars with unlimited miles for MONTHS at a time. A savvy salesman would jump at that deal.

Make your first purchase a Consumer Reports New Car Buyers’ Guide from the local bookstore. That’ll give you way more information then we can post here. The rest is just personal preference.

Well, I’m sure there are ways the rental companies protect themselves, but I was thinking you could switch from one company to another every week or two. My biggest push was a van I rented for 9 days around 9/11 and drove it from San Francisco to Cape Cod and back. Hertz never blinked. Anyway, it might not work out, but it’s an idea to consider.

“. I’ve NEVER EVER seen it on a long term rental…OVER 2 weeks.”

In the early 90s I had a car for 2.5 months and it had the standard contract, including unlimited mileage. I didn’t drive to Tierra del Fuego, so Avis didn’t complain. But that was over 15 years ago.