I am seriously confused by Toyota. When do I need to have an oil change?

I recommend to stick to the 5,000 mile interval irrespective of what type of oil is used. It’s better for the car to change the oil too frequently than not frequently enough. An oil and filter replacement properly done only helps, never hurts. And an oil change isn’t overly expensive. I think it is tough justifying saving a handful of dimes by extending the oil and filter change intervals when an oil related problem is likely gonna run many hundreds of dollars or more. If you drive less than 5,000 miles per year and want to extend the intervals from 6 months to a year, I wouldn’t have a problem w/that as long as you keep it topped up in between.

Oil change intervals vary by mfg greatly…they vary even more depending on the people you ask. The old norm interval was 3K miles with conventional oil, today (and probably back then) you can go 5K on conventional before your oil change. This is perfectly normal and you will have no oil related failures adhering to that schedule. All oil change intervals require regular checking of the level of oil, checking the oil level becomes more important the longer that interval is…

Synthetics offer longer change intervals…whether you want to take part in that is up to you. Sometimes I feel like these long advertised oil intervals actually attract problems because it is suggestive (to some people) that you put synth oil in your engine and it is magically set and ready to go 15K miles just like that… So some people never check their oil during this interval and then they have a catastrophic engine failure because they ran the crankcase empty during all those miles. Then they complain loudly.

If you stick to a 5K interval with conventional oil and monitor your oil levels regularly, your engine will thank you.

Check your oil every other fill up. You do buy gas?

What Honda year you have?

I have a 2017 Accord EX-L and before that, I owned a 2005 Accord EX V6.