Hyundai Using Child Labor in Alabama Plant

I am searching for this book, by any chance do you recall the name? It sounds very interesting!

My library is in disarray due to neglect but found it. Called ā€œcrossing Hoffaā€ a teamster story, by Steven j. Harper. Looks like 1954 but mine is not that old. Through the Minnesota historical society press through borealis books

I seem to remember a girl at work had some connection, father, grandparent or something that sort of validated it. I rember the part about the guy driving his rig down hywy 61 and his brakes had been jimmied.

On the same vein, ā€œI heard you paint housesā€ by Charles Brandt is a good read on what happened to Hoffa. Supposedly death bed confession of a guy who was there. Some have discredited it but there is enough to make it believable. Like when they flew down the weapons to be used on jfk. Didnā€™t seem to fit until now with new info coming out.

A lot of these are available used. I just bought one published by the u of m, on the 60s Minnesota music scene for half price.

I hope they donā€™t flag this so I have to retype it again, but it does involve big trucks.

1 Like

An interview with Jimmy Hoffa will air on Thursday on the Dick Cavett show on the Decades channel.

Shows (decades.com)

1 Like

Yes it was an excellent read, I enjoyed that book. Much of it seems plausible, then again who knows.

I will try to locate a copy of the other book mentioned. I will read it during downtime in the dump truck. I will monitor the air pressure gauges as i read the book to make sure i have no air leaks and i stay on topic.

Thanks!

If you just google it, a used copy came up for about $5. I was just trying to see what was available. Then one of them was even downloadable for Kindle (Iā€™ve got Nook), could of been the house painter though.

I got them I think before Amazon or even Google maybe so might have just got them from the Historical Soc., donā€™t remember. At any rate of course the reviews now vary. Puzzle pieces really start to come together when you can link people together, but thatā€™s for a different board.

1 Like

It nimight interest you to know that there is no mandatory tome and one half for railroad workers, truckers or some others involved in transportation. Those that get it ,do so only by union contract or the generosity of their company.

I was a teamster city driver first and got time and one half in most situations but when I became a teamster road driver, I was paid mileage for miles driven, straight time for loading, unloading, and dropping and hooking. Waiting time was paid only after the first hour and there was tons of time not paid for.Pre trip inspections of up to 16 pieces of equipment a day, filling out copious paperwork, sign in and sign in sheets to say nothing of the 14 hours they could hold you at a motel without pay on each
days work.

THat attitude is fine when you are young and healthy and donā€™t have a large family to support. As you get older it gets increasingly harder to get hired for hobs involving physical work.

1 Like

Most have retired.

1 Like

Back in the 70ā€™s ALL GE Televisions were made at the GE plant in Liverpool NY (right outside Syracuse). For about a 2 year period each of the 5 (maybe 6) unions would go on strike. Their ONLY reason for the strike was to show which union was the most powerful. For that 2 year period GE TV division was only operational at full capacity for about 4 months. Management had enough and shut down the plant, laying off thousands of workers and moved the operation to KY with no unions.

The US steel industry back in the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s tried to automate their factories. The UNIONS refused to let them because of the perceived loss of jobs. When factories started closing the unions came BEGGING to management to save what few jobs were left. For most it was too late.

Unions have a place, but they are NOT the answer to all the labor problems.

4 Likes

Name of the book, please. !

There was an article in this weekā€™s paper about the death bed confession- the FBI? dug up the area to find the drum Hoffa was in, but they didnā€™t find him. NYT?

Supposedly cremated in Michigan at a mob related funeral home. Didnā€™t even fill out a cremation certificate. Just no respect for regulations.

Speaking of death bed confession, johnny roselli claimed he was one of the three jfk shooters. Found him in a barrel floating near Miami a couple days before he was due to testify. Who ya gonna believe?

Here is that article: