Hyundai Accent 2004 Wheel Shimmy

Short story in semi-bullet form. Replaced my tires at an STS. They didn’t have P175’s in stock that day. (Manufacturer recommendation). They bumped me up to P185’s all the way round. Said it wouldn’t affect anything. Whole nine yards. Four new tires; balance; wheel alignment. I’ve had the car back several times in the past 6 months. The car cannot hold back from a shimmy past 3-4 k miles. The shimmy begins between 65-80. Nothing lower. Any thoughts?

What are they doing to cure the shimmy that you have brought the car back several times for but wont last more than 3-4K, contiuously re-balancing? My igornance,what’s a STS (sounds dangerous) What tire did you buy?

They keep re-balancing the tires. STS is a automotive chain in the NJ, NY, PA tri-state area. Actually now the shimmy, which begins around 70, is continuous. It’s not an earthshaking shimmy but enough that it’s annoying. Not supposed to occur. I noticed today that if I pull/hold down on the steering wheel, it diminishes or stops until I let up. Beginning to think it’s in the steering column. Any thoughts on steering column shimmies? I’ve heard of them but never encountered one. Thanks.

I would suggest that you have the front end checked at a reputable independent shop that specializes in that type of work. Please note that this does NOT include Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Goodyear, Firestone or other chains–including STS.

While it might be a bit early to have problems on a 4-year old car (albeit with odometer mileage unknown to us) with things like ball joints and tie rods, it is not impossible, and these items are safety-related issues. You owe it to yourself to have the front end checked by someone who has expertise in this area.

Thanks. That’s my gut instinct. I’ll bring it back to the dealer. I usually avoid them as they charge an arm and a leg more than most. But for something like this, it’s the best possible choice. Thanks a lot.

John

My 04 Hyundai Elantra shakes at 55 to 70 during acceleration or maintaining a speed above 55. If I’m going down hill at that speed no problem but if I goose it I get a shimmy. I just rotated the tires with no change in symptoms. Front end feels tight when I jack up the front end. 104,000 miles on the odometer. 03/18/2019.

First, it’s best to start a new thread rather than piggy back on an old one. Many folks won’t realize that there is a new problem and think the old one has been answered - like I did.

I’m thinking CV joints (The clue is acceleration and the fact that rotating tires didn’t do anything.)

2 Likes