Hybrids : Service options?

My guess is that with Hybrid and battery powered cars, more people will become adspf at doing some,of their own repairs and certainly more shops will take on hybrids.

MAYBE…Hybrids are becoming more popular at a time when less and less people are doing their own work…or even want to do their own work on cars.

@Tom777 your friends battery will have issues again. When corrosion is present on the bus bars of a hybrid battery it is because the cell is leaking. Cleaning will clear the code for a period of time, but it will return.

@SteveC63 I think Tom was referring to another thread on this message board, not information from a friend. Chances are the owner of the car traded it or will trade it the next time the “Check Hybrid System” message came on.

I dunno, maybe for you guys with PhDs in math and physics but its getting to the point that I don’t want to touch much anymore.

@Bing I don’t touch much of anything or repair anything since I found that 2/3 of the Earth’s surface is water. This means that a man should spend 2/3 of his time fishing. The remaining 1/3 of the time has to be spent eating and sleeping and doesn’t leave time for fixing things.

LOL, I love it. :smiley:

The electrical systems on the Toyota hybrids have proven to be very robust, and they really don’t need significant maintenance. When they get very old a minority of cars may develop battery problems, but most batteries really do last the life of the car. The warranties on these systems are long. Unless you’re in a small town with few mechanics and almost no hybrids someone around there is working on them. Even if you can’t find anyone willing to work on the electrical systems that doesn’t exactly drive you into the arms of the dealer unless something unusual breaks. If that happens, the dealer will likely be the very best place to diagnose and fix the problem. But you could own one of these for many years and never have a problem with the hybrid electrical systems.

@MarkM

Why have you decided to revive this thread, after several weeks of inactivity . . . ?! :cold_sweat: