Hurt My Feelings

I posed the following question on 9/22 and received three responses that required elaboration on my part, which I did. However, no one has returned to solve my mystery and my feelings have been hurt. So, here it is again:

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE.

The battery died. Inasmuch as the vehicle was three years old I just replaced it without a second thought. Then after a few days the new battery died.

The alternator checked out to be good so I decided to find out if there was a parasitic load.

The ammeter read zero until I opened a door; with all the lights out and everything turned off.

Within 30 seconds of the door being opened the ammeter jumped to a 10 amp drain: Not 10 milliamps but 10 AMPS!.

The new battery probably died because I left a door ajar, so I have been diligent in making sure every door is closed tight at night and have not had any more dead batteries. One of the responders asked what happened when I closed the door: The ammeter returned to zero. Remember that I have turned off all lights and radio, etc. etc. etc. with the door open.

Does anyone know if that 10 amp drainage with an open door is normal and to be expected?

If not normal, what do I do about it?

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

A 10 amp current is a very large drain, many times what all the interior lights, etc would take. You have a serious short somewhere; so go to an auto-electric shop and have the fault isolated. The dealer can also do this, but a Toyota dealer would probably run up a bill twice as high. This is not a job for you corner gas station mechanic, unless he is one of these unsung heros. I have a meter with varius scales, whcih is easy to misread; 10 amps instead of 0.1. Please double-check your meter. A 10 amp drain would run down your battery very quickly.

No, a 10 amp draw is not normal and is huge. This will kill a battery very quickly.
There should be no more than an amp, or maybe 2, at the most.

Since I have no way in the world of knowing what the problem is, about all I can say is that it’s going to take a methodical check by starting to pull fuses one at a time to determine if the draw goes away.
That will at least narrow it down to a particular circuit.

Subscribing to ALLDATA for their wiring diagrams or purchasing a factory electrical manual will help; and also the ability to trace that wiring as the schematic is laid out.

Does your Sienna have the JBL amplifier?
Does it make a pop when you turn the key off?
~Michael

No to both questions.

How about navigation system or rear seat DVD?
~Michael

No, none of those options.

If you’re confident about the 10 amp draw being correct then the only thing I could guess at could be if there is a chaffed wire harness on the door and a wire is grounding depending on the door position.

Just curious. Have you checked for this 10 amp draw when opening another door?

I must confess that I have not because the ammeter was not mine and I have not as yet returned to visit my friend who has one. But now that you have brought this to my attention I shall do so.