How to safely stall test a vehicle?

How could one do a stall test without causing damage to the bumper, or bumper support system, or the stationary object being pushed against with the bumper?

I think the key is to find some sort of somewhat solid stationary object and then also use your parking brake. On some cars the parking brake alone should be enough to hold the car back, and on others it should reduce the amount of force that gets transmitted to the object in question.

You could also use a good wheel chock. I’ve also used a chain attached to the frame and a large tree (or pole or bollard would also work).

I ask why you are not using the tried and true “power brake” technique? I know the answer if it involves some imports, I found out after reading about Toyota’s pedal problem. Some imports do not allow pressing the brake and gas at the same time (electronicaly inhibited fuel delivery). Sorry you “two footers” we will make you extinct through technology.

Why would you want to?

[Puzzled] What, exactly, are you testing?

Brake application to shut down fuel delivery sounds like a good thing to end two footed driver unintended brake light flashing.

You don’t need an immovable object. You don’t even need to use the parking brake. Just launch in 5th gear, you will know if the clutch is slipping.

I was thinking of stall test as in auto trans converter stall speed test,perhaps not.

I have not driven the newer cars with emergency brake/throttle shut down. I did find this explanation on C & D.

“Since the advent of electronic throttle control, many automakers have added software to program the throttle to close–and therefore cut power–when the brakes are applied.”

Some have said the system will shut off the engine if both brake and throttle are pressed, That does not seem likely. Forcing the electronic throttle to minimum does, though.

Some of you seemed to be sneering at two footers. Do you really think all two footers drive around with one foot firmly on the brakes, and the other foot firmly on the throttle? Don’t be silly.

There is a simple logic statement that even small children can grasp with a minimal assistance. Because all A is B does not mean all B is A.

“Just because all dogs are animals does not mean all animals are dogs.”

“Just because all bad drivers are two footers does not mean all two footers are bad drivers.” Of course, this latter statement is not correct, because not all bad drivers are two footers. In my experience, most bad drivers are one footers.

Some months ago, a man who was a big city van driver, I think by memory it was for a cable company, said they were sent to a professional driving school which taught them to drive two footed for increased safety in the city.

No kidding. Any good two footer could have told you that.

Imagine that. A professional driving school who disagrees with you guys. What a revolting development.

I’d like to see you one footers drive through Texcoco/La Paz in Mexico. You don’t have enough time to play one foot, the combis and taxis merge with six inches of clearance. One sees few older drivers there with manual transmissions because their reaction times are too slow for one footing.

There are only two reasons to drive one footed.

First, anyone who drives a manual transmission, even if only occasionally, had better drive one footed, because the brain needs to be trained for one footing.

Second, there are still in 2010 states with blue laws, based on the ignorance of legislators. Examples are the prohibition of inter-racial marriages. And of course driving with two feet, decades after most cars are automatics

I am a two footer and do not expect any problems with auto throttle shut down. Good drivers do let up on the throttle when they push the brakes. Good try on your extinction claims, but no cigar.

I have driven over 250,000 miles since I retired in 1997, and most of them on Cruise Control. I do not remember ever shutting off cruise control accidentally by pressing the brakes when I did not intend to.