How to cut wood

51721822_2516250441735958_4791504041274245120_n

8 Likes

That’s funny. Kinda like this old one:

Plan Ahea
d

1 Like

I know more than one adult who are terrible at spelling. In 1965 the first day of my 8th grade metal shop was spent teaching nearly half the students how to use a ruler! Sad.

For those of us who work in wood, the tool for that is called a board stretcher.

1 Like

Even better when the teacher tells them to pull out a scale
{blank stares}
a ruler?!?. OH

No joke, I had a lead mechanical engineer get so disgusted interviewing he started asking stupid questions
and many still didn’t know the answers!

How many thousandths in an inch? {I don’t know, there must be a million of 'em}

One side of scale- these are inch fractions, flip it over- what are these? {crickets} Those would be centimeter fractions
 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A funny answer for the centimeter scale would be: “Little inches”? Or for a real ‘gut buster’ have them measure something with a vernier caliper.

Many years ago I worked at Digital Equipment Corp. At the time they were the 2nd largest computer company in the World. Only IBM was bigger.

In their Nashua Campus Building One. Painted on the wall was the words “Software Engineering” - spelled out in Bar-Code. The person painting the bar-code didn’t know what the bar-code said. He had to put it on two lines and unfortunately he didn’t do it at the right break.

So in Bar-code it read

Softwa
reengineering.

I think I still have the tee-shirt of it.

1 Like

@MikeInNH. I ran many jobs through a DEC-10 that served the campus where I was on the faculty. For the time period, it was a great computer. We only had two terminals in the unit where I was housed, and there was always a line waiting for each terminal, so I punched cards and mostly ran batch jobs. Later, the DEC-10 was replaced with a VAX cluster with three nodes. Digital Equipment Company made really good computers in my opinion.

@Tredaq. I worked in VMS Engineering. I worked a little on the Dec-10 in college. And before the Vax systems I worked on PDP-11’s. I actually worked a little with Dave Cutler before he left for the West Coast and then Microsoft. He was the brain child behind VMS, and then Windows-NT for Microsoft. Arguably one of the greatest systems engineers ever.

They were bullet proof. Great systems. It was a shame what happened to them.

I used Windows-NT for many years on the Defense Network. Nearly 100% trouble free.

I have never been a subscriber to the old saying, "Measure Twice, Cut Once."
I have always found it better to Measure Thrice, Cut Once.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

The thing is I always just buy extra material since I have a tape measure that doesn’t work very well.