How to convince wife that driving fast on washboard road is KILLING car

We all do have clinical psychologist certification by joining right? @bing are you talkin to me?

Maybe we should judge our marital advice by something else.

1 here, no kids, now wifey went back and did the tango with an old boyfriend, felt guilty and wanted me to do the tango with an old girlfriend to make up for it. So I went to see old gf, Now it was sweet but we just went on walks and talked etc. womans are crazy because the fact I went was the foundation for divorce.

No @barkydog actually I agree with you. Let sleeping dogs lie and buy more suspension parts.

I used to cringe when my wife would back the new Olds out and then shift into drive without stopping. Then I watched her dad do the same thing and knew it was a lost cause. Father is always right.

Maybe the answer is to buy wifey suspension parts for Christmas and her birthday. That will accelerate things one way or another. :wink:

I think as long as those parts don’t have electrical cords on them you’d be OK. Never buy anything that plugs in though. I remember my dad buying my mother a new sewing machine for her birthday. Hee hee, he took it back the next day with neither one of us repeating that mistake again.

@dagosa‌

“There is a big problem driving on dirt roads fast enough for your suspension to be less jarring. Dirt roads are filled with rocks from small to medium which are hard on tires and any body parts they come into contact. There are pot holes, larger rocks and bumps that the car comes into contact with also. I don’t know what type of dirt road you travel, but slowing down is ALWAYS best.”

I don’t drive on any DIRT roads other than 4 wheeling. The roads I’m talking about are pea gravel sized stone. Only washboards, no ruts or holes and no big rocks.

“The idea that washboards should be driven fast is only theoretical and seldom a practical way to treat a car.”

Not a theory for me, I drove that gravel stretch twice a day for >10 years. Plenty of time to experiment…

You’re absolutely right that going slow is best for the car. However, that might get you killed here, especially at night. The rest of the driving public using these roads are doing the speed limit and riding the tops. If they come around a corner and you’re doing 5 mph, it might not be pretty.

@TwinTurbo‌
You got me. On your road, Mar Max prevails and for you it seems like it is more practical. As far as OP is concerned, if the wife was actually driving “smoother” by going faster, the husband would not be complaining. Maybe, she isn’t driving fast enough ? That would really upset the apple cart. In our state, trying to find the right speed by continually driving faster usually results in driving too fast for conditions. When you finally elevate the tires to that point, you probably can’t stop as fast and had to suffer all that disadvantages to get there.; like breaking the sound barrier, it’s just not worth it with the loss of efficiency and the increased wear and danger to try…this is the same reason passenger jet airliners don’t just jack their speeds up.

We have many miles of logging roads throughout our state that are reasonably well maintained for gravel roads. That’s the closest I can come to. The faster you go, regardless of the washboards, the greater damage your car suffers from the pounding with the rest road’s make up. Guess I have never been on a “smooth” enough gravel road to know differently.

Let me say also; it depends on the car. A Corolla suspension with cookie cutter tires is working real hard. It is nothing for a 4 Runner with 265/70/17 tires to "fly " over the same road with less concern. My solution would be to buy a car (SUV) built for wife’s abusive nature…good compromise.