Driving on washboard

The July 28th show had a question about driving too fast on washboard (pronounced: worshboard around here). Yea, the guy probably screwed up the Saturn driving too fast. However, there are certain driving speeds that create a resonate frequency that beat the living bejebers out of man & machine & there are speeds where everything seems to smooth out. Going too slow can be bad for man & machine & it takes longer to get where you’re going as well. I’m sure there is no magical speed: it’s going to vary upon the washboard & your vehicle. I suspect if the ride is smooth @ 25 mph it will also smooth out @ 50 mph. (never had a chance to test this) The BIG thing to remember is when driving on washboard is the tires are only in contact when hitting the top of the bumps. You ain’t got much control buddy! High speed is not recommended on roads with steep drop offs, blind corners and frequented by large trucks.

I’ve heard warshboard from various people. Worshboard is good too, I suppose. Where they get warsh and worsh from wash, I have not been able to know yet.

Actually, high speeds on washboard roads weeds out the gene pool.

• mountainbike

actually, picopascal IS RIGHT. somewhat.

i’ve actually driven on some bad roads, where there is a “sweet spot” of speed where it is actually less of a bumpy ride. speeding up actually CAN smooth it a bit.

that said, these situations to not apply to REAL washboard surfaces. or, i have yet to find the ideal speed on certain washboards i do drive on regularly. (some have a limited range of POSSIBLE speeds, due to curves and grade.)

actually, picopascal IS RIGHT. somewhat.

i’ve actually driven on some bad roads, where there is a “sweet spot” of speed where it is actually less of a bumpy ride. speeding up actually CAN smooth it a bit.

that said, these situations to not apply to REAL washboard surfaces. or, i have yet to find the ideal speed on certain washboards i do drive on regularly. (some have a limited range of POSSIBLE speeds, due to curves and grade.)