How Potentially Catastrophic Can Not Getting the Dipstick Fully Reseated or the Overflow Cap Fully Tightened Be?

Yes, the assistant pastor at our church had a 62, either a Biscayne or BelAir, same thing.
I had one car that had the gauge package but I think they were just hooked up to the idiot lights. Oil pressure and Amp needles never fluctuated, just zero with engine off, middle of the dial with engine on.

Back to the original question. Modern vehicles use a MAF (mass airflow sensor) to determine the initial A/F ratio. A loose dipstick will allow unaccounted air into the induction system. The O2 sensors will detect the off ration and correct the A/F ratio. If the dipstick is just barely loose and the correction is less than 25% of calculated, then you will never notice. The engine will run fine.

If it is over 25%, it may still run fine but you will get a check engine light with a P0171 or P0174 code. If it is really loose or not installed, the engine may run rough.

Overflow cap depends on whether the pressure cap is on the radiator or on the reservoir. If on the reservoir, the engine will run hot, especially uphill.

Yeah I think it was a 62 not a 64.

When I ordered my 74 cutlass, the gauge package was about $30 on a $4000 car. They were the analog type though and just replaced the lights on the dash.

Just curious, whatā€™s the purpose of the two lower-left yellow lights, one sort of looks like a battery or gas tank, the other looks like a water fountain. And what is the green one on the right for, looks like a speedometer? Not even going to ask about the three above it ā€¦ lol ā€¦

One problem with a lot of warning lights, at some point it becomes easy for the driver to miss that one has turned on. Contributed at least one deadly commercial airplane accident as well.

water fountain is the wiper fluid and the green is cruise control i think (similar to my bimmer)

Dashboard warning light for low wiper fluid? Iā€™m living in dark ages I guess, the way I know that is low is when I push on the button and nothing comes out , oh the humanity!! ā€¦ lol .

1 Like

@keith Overflow cap is on the overflow reservoir I think, the skinny cylinder guy hanging out off to the side of the engine compartment

Also does VOLVO-V70 hate me or hate everybody? The word curmudgeon comes to mind.

1 Like

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thereā€™s no requirement to listen though.

K I C. Itā€™s just a little unsettling to consistently receive negative remarks. Doesnā€™t make my day (in a positive way). Volvo-V70, please cheer up! Smile!

1 Like

Just depends on the car I guess and the trim level I guess. Some of mine had it and others didnā€™t or donā€™t. Iā€™ve never paid much attention. I usually just check the level when I check the oil. Otoh some of the tanks you canā€™t see and just see the neck.so you really donā€™t know until dumping some in. One car had a white nylon thing like gas wire tie to check the level but it was worthless.

My guess regarding WW fluid warning light, so you donā€™t damage the pump running it dry, but just a guess.
Mine came on the other day, turned a corner it went off, but still filled it when I got home.

To the OP as far as the original question: just reseat the the dipstick after checking the oil, tighten oil fill cap after adding oil. Tighten the coolant cap(s) after checking/adding coolant.

As I said before, obtain an owners manual and read it.

My 2011 Outback was the first car I ever owned with a low WW fluid warning light. I typically check that levelā€“as well as the level of the other fluids every few weeksā€“so I saw it as having a limited valueā€“at least for me.

When the car was ~2 years old, that light lit-up, but the fluid level was good, so when it was time for the next oil change, I had the dealership check it out. They wound-up replacing the reservoirā€“which was the only repair ever needed on that vehicle.

1 Like

Eliminate a gauge many people have no idea how or interpret, or perhaps care to read, and reduce costs at the same time? Cha-chinga baby!

Heh heh. Pull up, pull up-no altimeter.

Cars have had warning lights for decades. Nothing new.

Iā€™m envisioning this fictional conversation between a mechanic and a car company executive:

Mechanic: Why do you use these cheap plastic parts in places where it is very expensive to replace them? These parts fail all the time, and replacing them costs my customers a lot of money. Why donā€™t you use quality steel parts for that application, pay the vendor an extra dollar, and just charge another dollar for the car?

Executive: If we could charge another dollar for the car we would already be doing that, and weā€™d still use the plastic parts!

+1
Hudson began substituting warning lights for the oil pressure gauge and the volt meter in the 1930s.

Actually, youā€™ve captured the essence of a non-fictional conversation between the mechanical engineer and the business manager.
:wink:

And youā€™re right, theyā€™re not passing those cost savings on but pocketing them. Later, if they get into a pricing situation, thatā€™s padding to use against the competition.

The idea of building the highest quality products has sunk to the level that you just canā€™t be worse than your competitorsā€¦

2 Likes

Or as Iā€™ve said beforeā€¦
All cars are junk, just some are better junks then othersā€¦

I guess you are trying to make a Joke . If you are serious than you are wrong .