How old were you when

I was 16 . . . the legal age to drive (at that time) here in Pennsylvania. Front DRUM brakes to a 65 Chevy stepside pickup. I think I replaced just about every part on that truck, learned a lot . . . lots of fun, easy to figure out and work on. Rocketman

I was about 14 when I started helping dad with his cars. I learned on a 68 Dodge 1/2 ton with 4 wheel drums. I’m 28 now and just did my wife’s car’s brakes last month - at which time, she also learned how to change them. It’s worth it to me to spend a 1/2 hour and $20 to replace them myself rather than the $100+ and having to wait at a shop. My sister learned how to do brakes when she was about 16, and my brother (13) is just starting to learn about that kind of stuff.

I was 16 when I first worked on my breaks.That was more than 20 years ago. I last changed FRONT drum brakes on one of my cars last year - 2006 - and will be changing the pads on my wife’s SUV this month before her next inspection.

Brakes are INCREDIBLY important. But they’re not difficult to understand and repair if you take the time to learn how they work, and how to work on them.