How much does the brand of car tire matter in safety and performance?

lol… yes, very tactfully. Even on the simplest things. Tire
pressure is easy, but have had it done incorrectly twice this
year. Can’t have a simpler job, unless it’s remembering to tighten
wheel nuts. All by “professionals”.

Just went to the Dodge dealer. I was wondering if there was a AA traction rating. I saw it on a Challenger tire. It was a good looking tire for going fast. Wouldn’t be any good as a Winter tire. I’m running Sumitomo Ice Edge now. I’m tired of changing over every spring and fall. Now I get to have the free rotation and stop owning two sets of tires. Pain in the neck in middle Maine. I’ll save $130 a year of changeover money. I’ll use the cash to buy new tires every three or four years.

Brand is not relevant to performance. It appears every major tire maker has a few stars over competition in a certain way and the rest middling - acceptable. Every tire is a COMPROMISE across each factor (wet, dry, winter traction, noise, comfort, tread wear rate…) so what appeals to you in that may not to another driver in terms of “best performance”.

In terms of safety the US based makers and established Asian ones seem great. The challenge is when bottom dweller tires in price and unknown name appear and the quality may be compromised or quite incredible.