How much does it cost to charge an EV?

A relevant update to this thread:

As of right now the VAST VAST majority of drivers do NOT NEED an EV capable of more then a 200 mile range between charging. Most people who buy an EV will be charging it from home. We could buy an EV tomorrow, as long as we had one car for trips over 200 miles. There is no urgent need for EV stations. There may be in 10 years, but not now.

2 Likes

+1
My plug-in hybrid is now up to a 50 mile EV, range which is more than enough for my typical driving habits.

Tomorrow, I will be taking a drive of ~180 miles, and I will use EV mode on local roads and switch to HV mode for expressway stretches. Most likely, I will use no more than 3.5 gallons of gas in the process.

1 Like

For some of us, it’s alot less

NES (Nashville electric service) shows kWh @ $0.11649 in my area as of last month anyway…

And I’m going down kicking and screaming before I buy one… :rofl:

Even if having one might be a benifit to you and your family ?

Me thinks I know the answer to that .

1 Like

Me thinks you are right… lol

I’m a driver and like the feel of the vehicle while driving, I don’t won’t or need the vehicle to drive for me, I enjoy the seat of the pants driving… I enjoy shifting gears, I even modified the valve body in my hot rod to be a full manual shift, there is absolutely NO automatic function other than the torque converter, whatever gear I start off in is the gear it’s in… It will not shift up or down period, the governor has basically been bypassed…

I hate the feel of the drive by wire throttle on my DD (daily driver), I don’t need the computer to adjust the throttle to what it thinks I need, I can do it myself… It’s a manual shift BTW…

If I can’t drive my own vehicle and need the assistance of computers to control the vehicle for me other then ABS (and I would rather not have it) then it is time for me to stop driving… :wink:

I don’t know if it’s part of the plan you linked to, but the tow closest Walmarts to me have Electrify America chargers on their parking lot.

66 cents for 35 gallons of gasoline? I have to say, that is indeed a good price. I think even in Saudi Arabia gasoline is 50 cents a gallon or more. The only location I can think of for that sort of pricing , maybe Venezuela. Is that where you are located? Doesn’t look like Venezuela b/c of pump appearance. Maybe military base? The only reason gasoline is expensive is b/c lots of folk want to buy it. The basis for the product itself is free, no-charge, crude oil pumped from the ground.

It’s was at a Kroger in central VA. We filled up two cars, 35 gallons was the limit

1 Like

lol … great photo!

That is a lot of Kroger plus points… :rofl:
I think I’ve only been able to get up to about $2.00 off on mine…

I usually end up with around $3-$5 off a gallon off every month. Sometimes more if I’m undertaking a home improvement project, I have a system. This past month was fairly lean, as I was only able to get $2.10/gal off.

1 Like

My wife has a Kroger card but we don’t have any around here. I think she got 50 cents off once at the local market. I paid 3.49 yesterday so you saved $100.

So youve essentially invented the Buick Dynaflow transmission.

1 Like

Not at all, not sure where that came from lol, I just converted my valve body to a full race manual valve body, minus the trans brake or reverse valve body (which requires a new casting)…

Brothers from a different mother :grinning:
I posted on here once about a custom trans I built years ago now. Still have the car. Two turbo400 in series for 5 speed, reverse ordered manual valve bodies controlled by two separate ratcheting shifters.

Not sure how that would work but I would love to read about it… :wink:

At the risk of getting beat up by the post diversion police- I found the old post on here but they purge the pictures from them. Here’s a pic I found of it:

If you want to read the old post, here’s a link: I spy with my little eye

That was a great read, I love stuff like this… I would enjoy seeing all the pictures you felt like sharing of the total build (more than welcome to PM me the pics), sounds like a great car…

Do you remember the 60’ times as well as the 1/8 & 1/4 mile times/speed??

And why would they delete the pictures?? nvm… lol