How much does it cost to charge an EV?

Oil change requirements are 10,000 miles/12 months for all powertrains.

My Mazda recommended every 4 to 6 months depending on severity of driving while my Mustang had once a year changes, but also had like 8~10 quarts of oil in the pan. It’s been a little while and I wasn’t sure where the companies were on oil changes anymore.

… also, the regenerative braking system–which is used for all stops except panic stops–means that the brake pads could conceivably last for at least twice as long as the brake pads on ICE-only vehicles.

Next month, my new electrical supplier–Eversolar–will begin billing me, and they guarantee a 21% saving over the rates charged by the major utility.

In 2021 about 15 million light vehicles were sold. Of those, around 1.4 million were EVs. There’s a long way to go before the market is flooded. IIRC, only California requires manufacturers to sell EVs to remain in the market. There is plenty of time for power companies to react to growth in EV charging.

+1
All of these gloom and doom predictions depend on the premise that the electric utilities are ignorant of market trends, and that they are not currently expanding their capacity-- nor do they have plans for continuing to expand their capacity.

This would be similar to someone claiming in the early 1900s that there would never be enough gas stations for the cars that would be produced over the ensuing decades. A shortage of gas stations was never a reality, and–similarly–I believe that our electrical capacity will expand sufficiently to be able to bear the burden of EVs in the coming years.

I’m not sure comparing today with 1900 is very valid. The government never regulated gas stations and there was never a regional regulated gasoline supplier like electricity. If we are repeating the 20th century, we have two world wars and several major conflicts in our future.

@VDCdriver … it would be interesting if you summarized the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule for you new EV.

I haven’t drilled-down very thoroughly so far into the maintenance schedule for my plug-in hybrid.

What I do know so far:
The 5k/6month service is essentially a bunch of tests/inspections, tire rotation, and fluid checking. The 10k/12 month service is the preceding, plus an oil change. Normally, I wouldn’t wait until 10k for an oil change, but because I run the gas engine so rarely, I think that 10k miles is reasonable. By my best estimate, of the ~900 miles that I have driven so far, the gas engine has only run for ~200 miles.

1 Like

That is true. In addition, there were no regulations on the mining industry, oil drillers, food producers, drug companies, or any other industries–thus leading to widespread, unchecked abuses to both the environment and the lives of the public.
You know… The (so-called) Good Old Days.
:thinking:

Yep, life in the gilded age. Just saying gas stations were provided by businesses to meet demand in a de-centralized manner. Quite different than centralized government control to push demand.

You folks sure have inexpensive gas and electricity. Driving as much as you do would cost $10 per month here. Thank goodness the electricity costs only $0.26 here. Instead of waiting a few more years until they became more affordable, I went broke at the $10/pg mark and purchased an EV. There is no use in waiting when we are literally spending hundreds of dollars on gas annually.

how much does it cost to charge an ev?

That question is so dependent on location, cost of elec., cost of gas, even time of day. Just those criteria make any answer just about useless to anyone. I would guess, and to be perfectly clear this is just a guess. Until the price difference of the car itself, the home charger and installation of the charger and the extra electric capacity is paid off it may cost slightly more to drive an ev. With the price difference of some ev’s vs. a comparable ice you could buy a good amount of fuel.

@jeffery.ollsan_183290, I guess you are in Europe with the gasoline price at $10/gallon. Most of us are in the USA. While we have federal and state taxes on gasoline, they aren’t as high as yours are. It certainly makes a lot more sense in Europe to drive an EV with prices for hydrocarbon fuels as high as they are.

MPGe is the distance a car can travel on 33.7kWh of electricity. So, if a vehicle can cover 60 miles for every 33.7kWh of electricity, its MPGe would be 60. That would be the equivalent of a gas-powered car getting 60 mpg.Apr 9, 2021
What does electricity cost where you live?

I think MSN web site had a story where a couple rented a Tesla in Forida to drive to Kansas . The cold weather had then stopping many times because they could not get the range that the Tesal was supposed to get. Also it seems they spent more on charging fees than they would have on gas.

Link Please?!

I’ve read several of similar accounts. You just have to look a little. One even had to book another hotel night to continue.

All this talk about charging station popping up (of course guess who is paying for them) but consider dropping the car off at one, then walking 5 miles home and back again to get it. I suppose you could get an Uber but when you think about the practicality of it all compared to driving a mile to a gas station and spending 5 minutes for another 400 miles of range, I’m just not there. I’m not going to eat bugs either or give up my gas grill or fireplace. You folks are free to do what you want.

1 Like

Two people driving from Florida to Kansas. I treat this story as hearsay, many people operate vehicles in an inefficient manner.

Brother, Sister Rent Tesla But As Soon As They Hit Cold Weather, It Took 17 Hours To Go 450 Miles - Cowboy State Daily

BMW claims that it takes about 30 minutes to charge the i4 from 10% to 80%. If I bought one, I’d take advantage of the 2 years if free charging and go for a walk while it charges. There’s a charging station with 6 outlets at the local Walmart that offers free BMW charging.

1 Like