How long can an Automatic last

Loved that car. Bought it for $150 after my Beetle was crushed and sold it for $125 with 110K on it and using oil. Didn’t know what I had I guess.

“The Hydromatic of the 1950’s” Wasn’t that hydrAmatic??

Anyone ever tried to rebuild their automatic themselves, at their home, in the driveway I mean? I picked up a book the other day at the bookstore titled “Rebuild your Ford C4/C6 transmission”. I looked through the steps, and it really didn’t look that hard to do. Time consuming, true. But none of the step looked very difficult. It looked to me like the hardest part was figuring out how to support the transmission body while you take it apart and put it back together.

Just curious, anybody ever re- build their auto-transmission themselves? What’s the hardest part of the job?

As far as I am concerned an Automatic trans is still VooDoo and Witchcraft… I dont want to mess with it…LOL :slight_smile:

Automatic transmissions can last a very long time if a maintenance plan is followed. In my drag racing days…I used to buy Powerglide transmissions right out of the junkyard. All I ever did was change the transmission fluid and install a shift kit. I ran some of them for years without any problems.

The only weak transmissions I ever ran across was the mid 1980’s GM 700R4’s. I’ve also heard that the mid 90’s through mid 2000’s Taurus/Sable transmissions were weak as well.