How far can a car go after it blows an oil filter?

i have slightly different scenerio, oil change was done without replacing the seal resulting in a seized engine. Shop is admitting fault and has submitted a claim to there insurance ($500 value). The car a 1987 Maxima with high miles, but it has been maintained and I expected to get alot more out of this great running engine. Shop is saying it is not worth putting and engine in. I cannot find an lawyer who does business in NC consumer protection law. Any suggestions, I have contacted the NC Consumer Protection. Any one have a 1987 maxima with 200+ mileage who an vouch for this great engine!

When a filter blows/falls off, the oil is pumped out in a matter of seconds and the red “oil” light will come on immediately. You might not notice it immediately, but it was on…Had you stopped and turned off the engine at that point, no engine damage would have resulted.

I have NEVER seen a correct filter, correctly installed, fall or blow off…Today, in the United States, if you want a job done right, you almost have to do it yourself.