How does an illiterate elderly go about getting his driver’s license?

Interesting that you said this. There is a mechanic in my family who lives on the island who cannot read, either. His wife handles all paperwork.

This guy is one of the most knowledgeable mechanics on the island and has been published in news articles a couple of times.

He reminds me of Scotty Kilmer.

He and I aren’t in connection, though, and we are considered distant relatives.

Why would you insult him like that ?

4 Likes

lol. Thought Scotty knew his stuff? Well I wouldn’t know but my relative throws his arms and talks a lot like Scotty.

65 is the dividing line between elderly and not

1 Like

You never know what or why. Had a guy in my dale Carnegie class, good business man, tears fell from his eyes when he confessed being dyslectic. Trouble all his life in school and never admitted it. Trouble learning and reading and none of his teachers caught on. He didn’t understand it either. Just sayin is all, easy for some to say just learn or quit.

Warren buffet (a distant relative I’m told) relayed the story of an immigrant from 1917 scrimped and saved $2500 and opened a furniture store in Chicago. Built the worth to millions but couldn’t read or write till the day she died.

1 Like

I think that’s a good convention. Just b/c someone is “elderly” doesn’t imply they are incapable of doing something they used to be able to do. But being elderly does imply a certain type disability imo, and are entitled to benefits than come with a disability.

I’m 71 and I don’t think about it. It’s a waste of time. We have better things to do with our time than think about how old we are. Exceptions are milestones, like qualifying for social security, retirement, and Medicare sine they are age related.

2 Likes

I was watching an Elton John concert special on tv a couple of weeks ago, and noticed how old his audience has become … lol … but older or not, they are still rocking with his music pretty much the same.

My wife’s doctorate thesis was on ageism. I would suggest to do some reading on the subject before spewing nonsense.

I understand **elderly ** to be people of higher rank due to years of experience. This is why my old folks often say **to respect the elderly **

When I google elderly, this comes up:

Does your elderly relative take advantage of audio books? I’m in that same age group and find reading a book tiring on my eyes, but I listen to audio books daily. Maybe if he gets used to listening to books for entertainment, it might perk up his interest in learning to read. & remind him if he learns to read, he can participate in Car Talk forums … lol …

1 Like

He mostly watches shows of hot rods on tv. He’s a visual guy. Learns fast with using his eyes.

These are photo samples I got off google to show the kind of vehicles he used to drive. He currently owns 3 vehicles on the island.

Since I’m known to be a bit of a curmudgeon, I’d like to ask a question or two. This man who can’t read but has been driving for decades - he had a license before, I assume. If he’s in the US, I can’t imagine he never had to take a written test. I certainly had to, when I was 16 in 1962. Maybe he needs a refresher class, maybe he needs glasses, maybe he’s scared to look stupid. That describes me and maybe a lot of us, but we get over it and move on. And if he decided that it’s too late in life for him to try something new or different then he will have to live with the consequences of that decision.

If his vision is too limited to be able to read, he should NOT be driving, period.

2 Likes

Elderly I guess. Is an interpreter allowed?

He has his license for the Caribbean. He paid for it cash without having to read anything.

He doesn’t have a license for the United States because the DMV requires a written test.

When he visited the United States for the first time, he was allowed to drive in NY legally as a visitor with his Caribbean license. Since he now has become a citizen of the United States, his Caribbean driver license is no longer eligible to drive in the USA.

For the deaf, an interpreter is allowed to assist the deaf. However, this guy isn’t deaf and he speaks English. So I’m not sure if he qualifies for an interpreter. I do know the USA requires at least a highschool education to obtain a driver license, which the guy in question does not have.

Also, currently, to take the written test, a computer machine is used, and this guy wouldn’t be able to read anything on the computer screen.

A high school diploma is not required in NY State for a drivers license once you are 18

1 Like

Thanks for the correction.

Have him sign-up for an adult literacy program, provided free-of-charge by the NY State Department of Education:

https://adulted.swboces.org/adult_literacy_program

That’s because people do most of their driving withing 25 miles from home.

2 Likes