How do you make left turns?

Last month I was back in the States, went to visit family where we lived until retirement. There was a new intersection coming off the high speed freeway, with at times heavy traffic. Two lanes are designated for right turn. When I lived there I thought only the most right lane could turn right on red after stop.

Yet when I stopped in the left of the two lanes, when the light was red, cars behind me started honking. I am guessing they want both right turn lanes to turn right on red. Strange.

irlandes If I understand what you are describing they are quite common in Oregon’s more congested areas. You will encounter 2 right turn only lanes or 1 right turn only lane and an additional lane with a choice of right turn or straight ahead. With either version it is legal to turn right on red from the additional lane after stopping and having enough traffic clearance to turn safely. If you were in an additional right turn lane with the straight ahead on green option and intending to do so the honking was inappropriate but expected from those totally inconsiderate drivers being denied in their feeble one track minds by you the opportunity to turn right on red.

There are certain intersections where most of the people in the far right lane make a right turn, even though the driver has the option of also going straight

If i’m in that lane, stopped at the red light, with NO turn signal on . . . because I’m going straight . . . most people behind me start to honk.

Sometimes I’d like to give them a finger, but I don’t, because I don’t know what kind of whacko they might be. Best not to tempt fate

Returning to the discussion of left hand turns. I’m not sure about other states or countries but in Oregon it is legal to make a left turn from a two way street onto a one way street from a red light or stop sign. There are some simple requirements. Of course traffic on the one way street must be moving from right to left (duh). You must turn into the nearest lane as oncoming traffic on your street can turn right on red. You must have sufficient clearance of cross traffic to complete your turn safely. A couple of days ago I was planning to make a left turn from a two way street onto a one way street. The light was red and there was one car ahead of me signaling to do the same. Even though there was a 30 second break in traffic on the one way street the 70 something male driver in front of me did not turn. I was not surprised as more than half the drivers here are obviously ignorant of this law. I just semi patiently wait. The light turned green and a few oncoming vehicles crossed the intersection followed by a large gap. He still did not turn. When there were no more oncoming vehicles he finally turned incorrectly into the far lane and proceeded at 20mph in a 30mph speed zone. I correctly turned into the near lane and passed him at 30mph. I signaled and changed to the right lane as I was approaching my right turn. Suddenly the other driver was accelerating towards my rear bumper at 45+mph! I guess he didn’t notice my right turn signal as he swerved around me then slammed on his brakes stopping just across the intersection where I was turning. His road rage display and punishment of me for something was a total failure. There is a DMV office a few blocks further where he should have stopped and surrendered his driver license. Yeah right! Never think you have seen it all.

Db, you’re doing the smart thing.
Many years ago I was in Boston when a driver gave the guy behind him the finger. The cars were both stuck in traffic. The guy behind him got out of his car with a tire iron in his hand, pulled the guy that gave him the finger out of his car, and started beating him with the tire iron. You just never know how unstable h guy behind you might be.

mountainbike

Speaking of road rage . . .

Years ago, I was riding a bicycle, to go shopping, I believe

I’m not sure why, but some people in a truck decided they had a beef with me. At the next red light, one of them got out and wanted to start a fist fight

I high tailed it out of there. Later that day, I saw the truck parked in front of the gun store. There was nobody in the truck, so I assume they were in the store . . .

Amazingly enough, I ran into the guy that got out later that same day, in a “social” setting. I had no idea he was going to be there. He was actually pleasant enough, at least at that particular moment. According to him, his buddies pressured him to get out of the truck and start trouble with me.

Why would you pressure a friend to start a fist fight with a complete stranger?

If they were young and stupid, it might be to make sure the guy had a full load of manhood in his tank. Young men can be complete idiots that way. He probably can’t think far enough ahead to realize that hitting you gets him an all expenses vacation in the local jail for assault. Even worse, some young men think a jail term is punching a ticket to manhood.

When I saw this question I thought simply turn your steering wheel counter clock-wise

@RonCorollaUSAF‌

Are you currently serving in the air force, or are you retired?

Can I assume you drive a Corolla, or is that your name?

getting back to left turns . . .

I was in the left lane, and the light turned yellow, so I decided to stop, because I was still a good distance away, and I didn’t feel like massively speeding up to beat the red

There was NO left turn only lane. Cars wishing to make a left have to wait for a break in opposing traffic

Anyways, the guy behind me decided to NOT stop and stay behind me. He floored it, veered into the opposing traffic lane, and barreled right through the red light, and made his left. In fact, it was probably red at least 1 full second, before he ran it. He wasn’t even close to beating the red

I almost wish he would have been t-boned by opposing traffic . . . by somebody coming the opposite direction

That would have taught him a lesson. He would have been 100% at fault, his car would have been damaged. and then he would have been stuck with a car that the body shop hacked

But he might have gotten hurt, so I don’t truly wish it had happened

Hypothetically speaking, it would have been very satisfying to see it play out

But I do wish a police office had witnessed his maneuver. That would have been an expensive ticket, which he won’t soon forget

To make a left turn you simply bank to the left.
Do not move the rudder pedals at all , the rudder stays straight.
The act of banking creates the arc to the left due to the geomatry of the now angled wings and you merely level out when you reach your new heading.

:wink:

Unless otherwise indicated, the traffic pattern at all airports is in a left turn pattern.

Db, I’ve seen girlfriends with a few drinks in them goad their boyfriends into fighting with another guy. Physics is much easier to understand than people.

mountainbike

So the girlfriend feels special and valued, if they can get the boyfriend to start a fight with some random guy at the bar . . . ?

Makes me think that kind of girlfriend shouldn’t be a keeper . . .

ken green

To make a left turn you simply bank to the left.
Do not move the rudder pedals at all , the rudder stays straight.
The act of banking creates the arc to the left due to the geomatry of the now angled wings and you merely level out when you reach your new heading.

What? You mean you’re not supposed to pull back to a vertical climb, do a 90 degree roll to the right while vertical, and then push forward to level flight?

And back to the original question:

In what states is it illegal to drive into the intersection and make a left turn when the on-coming traffic clears due to the light changing? The OP cited Texas, but I am doubtful that is true. I think the guy’s brother encountered an overzealous cop - or maybe there is more to this story than we are told.

I took a ticket dismissal class in Texas and the instructor said that you may enter the intersection to make a left as long as the light was green and wait for the intersection to clear to make your left turn.
If you entered the intersection legally, you have the right of way over cross traffic that has not entered the intersection yet, even though they now have the green light. The green light is not an unconditional right of way, you still have to wait for the intersection to clear.

Cops are not necessarily legal experts.

Sec. 544.007. TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL. (a) A traffic-control signal displaying different colored lights or colored lighted arrows successively or in combination may display only green, yellow, or red and applies to operators of vehicles as provided by this section.

(b) An operator of a vehicle facing a circular green signal may proceed straight or turn right or left unless a sign prohibits the turn. The operator shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk when the signal is exhibited.

B.L.E. “What? You mean you’re not supposed to pull back to a vertical climb, do a 90 degree roll to the right while vertical, and then push forward to level flight”?

Interesting maneuver. It sounds like half a Split Ess or would it be a half Essed Split? LoL.

@sgtrock21 I don’t think that maneuver has a name.

How to turn left on skis.
Put your skis in a “snowplow” wedge, shift your weight to the right ski, as you head straight down the hill, windmill your arms to keep your balance and scream as you sit down. Now pick yourself back up and put your skis on the ground facing your new direction and step back into them, make sure the binding releases are reset before you try to step into them.

sgtrock21…Practicing stalls is actually FUN :slight_smile:
My wife would even ask me to do so when simply out for sight seeing.

Another left turn conundrum ;
When the kids learn on a bicycle with training wheels…they turn the handle bars to turn.
Take OFF the training wheels ??? and the fun begins.
The ‘‘training’’ wheels do not train very well at all. They never learn the lean.

same major differences in motorcycles.
add a side car and your world changes.