How do they make the non-circular holes in an engine block?

It’s the same principle involved…but the material the printer is made out of must be much more rugged. The material for the 3d printer just has to have a higher melting point then plastic (which is about 130 degrees). Melting point of Aluminum is about 1200 degrees.

I’ll be interested to see a one that works, as opposed to a mock-up. 1200F will be VERY tough to make work day-in, day-out.

I guess the point I was trying to make is: Don’t confuse what is impossible today with what might be possible tomorrow. Remember the “Sound Barrier”?

I'll be interested to see a one that works, as opposed to a mock-up. 1200F will be VERY tough to make work day-in, day-out.

I agree there. But I don’t think it’s IMPOSSIBLE. I had a summer job in college working at Allied Chemical years ago. Some of the equipment there were in some of the absolute harshest environments known to man…and have been doing the same job for years and years without ever replacing.

I think the 3d printer using Aluminum or Copper can be made and made reliable…But I also think it’s going to cost a LOT to do it. And the first 2 or 3 models may have some reliability problems until they get it right.