How do I start my 2016 Grand Cherokee with a dead remote?

battery is dead in the remote how do i start the car

you should have a key in your key fob that you can take out to use to start the car. then go and replace the key fob battery

Hold the remote against the start button while you push the start button, there is an antenna around the button that will read the remote.

Yes you can use the key to unlock the car but not start it if it is a push button start.

your right. i assumed it was a key start. so you would either have to do as nevada_545 said or change the battery in the key fob, or use the second fob. it seems a lot of other people have problems with there key fobs not working on their cherokees even when the batteries are changed. but i would try these first.

I sure do miss metal keys. They always worked.

4 Likes

Wife has a 2007 Lexus with push button start. Long before the fob battery is dead there’s a warning the battery needs replacing…so we replace it. After 14 years and over 250k miles of driving the car has never failed to start.

From the MY2015 manual:

“NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with
the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may
have a low or dead battery. In this situation, a back up
method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put
the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the
Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and
push to operate the ignition switch.”

I used to perform a lot of lock repairs but no longer do.

1 Like

You mean the answer was in the manual. Never would have thought of that. Apparently a lot of other people don’t either. (said with excessive sarcasm)

4 Likes

I still remember how to do it on my mothers 2010 Prius since the salesman showed us how, Toyota’s you place the Toyota logo side to the start button and it should work but you still want to replace the battery asap.

This is correct procedure if the fob battery is dead in the JGC or the durango with pushbutton start . IT is all in the owners manual .

Heh heh. In the heat of the battle and all . . .

That is where I verified the procedure, I encounter dead transmitter batteries on occasion. Many people don’t expect to find a work around procedure in the manual, others have a difficult time navigating through a 750 page book.

They come here with a simple question and are told to go read a book or are criticized for not finding the answer by themselves. If a person does not know the answer, why reply?

1 Like

OTOH if they can’t read, comprehend, or “navigate” the manual (instructions) should they really be operating the equipment?

2 Likes

Will an internet search of the problem result in a potential fix/work around? I say yes.