How do I keep rodents from chewing at my car's injector harness--AGAIN?!?

Yesterday morning, my husband and I were headed out and the car started shaking somewhat violently–didn’t even move yet! Rushed to the dealership, got it checked, and apparently our injector harness had been chewed away–most likely from a rodent!!!

It’s not covered under warranty (seems like many cars aren’t), and insurance won’t cover it either because we weren’t in the car???

It will cost us about $1700+ altogether!!!

I’ve done some research and it seems like rodents favor trucks and new vehicles (we have a 2010 Kia Forte Koup–FYI they spell their coupe with a “k” lol)–especially during cold weather, and it has been pretty chilly and rainy lately. I’ve called friends and auto stores and it seems like there’s no safe way to prevent rodents from entering or damaging your car. Some have suggested wire looms, moth balls, HOT sauce on the wires, etc.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN??? SOMETHING YOU KNOW FOR A FACT WORKS??? (home remedies…store-bought repellents, etc) IT’S VERY EXPENSIVE, AND SERIOUSLY DON’T WANT IT HAPPENING AGAIN (-_-)

THANK YOU!!! (^_^)

P.S. We live in an apartment, so obviously no outdoor remedies that can be harmful to people or pets :\

Rodent damage would never be covered under warranty. It would be covered under your comprehensive insurance (but not collision) in many states. That covers vandalism and acts of God like a tree falling on your car. Do you have comprehensive coverage? You might want to check with your state’s insurance commissioner’s office to see what the rules are in your state.

Unfortunately you do not leave many options. Living in an apartment you probably can’t garage it, can’t use poison, can’t use most other common deterrents (bright lights, noise, cats).

Take a look at where you usually park. Do you park near something that rodents would find attractive, such as a nut tree, trash dump, lots of nearby shrubbery? The only think I can think of to suggest is that you find some place to park that has as much clear space around it as possible, with nothing nearby that rodents will find attractive or can use as a source of cover.