How do I get a second opinion when my car’s already taken apart in the shop?

The hard part is determining if the spark plug failure initiated the failure chain of events or was part of it. Plugs can fail for various reasons, one being subjected to persistent pre-ignition events. Dropping the plug or incorrect gapping methods are workmanship issues. A number of possibilities other than defects in materials. Understanding what failed can lead to the reason. They aren’t motivated to keep digging to find out. But if this engine replacement causes you significant financial difficulty, you might decide to enlist experts to help figure it out.

Time to start escalating the process through the dealer’s general manager, up to the Ford zone manager, etc. Be polite but persistent. Go through the “binding arbitration” process, if necessary. It may be necessary to hire an attorney to show Ford that you’re serious, and won’t go away.

I would explain that you bought the truck Certified Pre-Owned in good faith, and assumed that the warranty plan would cover any defect or malfunction not caused by your neglect or improper maintenance. I would further ask the following questions:

1. Please point out the exact clause in the warranty contract which says that damage to the engine caused by a defective spark plug is excluded. I would also ask whether this is true, even if the spark plug is a genuine Ford part (installed after the truck was built), or if it is the original from when the truck was built.

2. Explain how you can prove that the spark plug failure caused the engine damage, and that a malfunction of the engine itself, such as improper ignition of the air/fuel mixture is not what caused the spark plug to fail.

3. Typically, a manufacturer’s basic warranty or powertrain warranty covers consumable parts such as timing belts or spark plugs until the first recommended replacement interval. It would also cover engine damage resulting from the failure of a consumable part before the recommended replacement time or mileage has been reached. Since the total odometer mileage is less than the recommended replacement interval for the spark plugs, explain how the extended warranty can possibly not cover the spark plugs, and engine damage, regardless of what the sequence of event was? Ask to see the specific language in the contract which they claim supports their position.

2 Likes

Update: getting pics of the damage from the service manager. Spoke to Ford Customer Care, they are investigating.

So it is actually in the wording of the contract that it doesn’t cover spark plugs. It also states that it doesn’t cause damage to warrantable parts by non-warrantable parts. I’m wondering if there’s any chance that I could prove that the engine caused the damage to the plug, that then in return caused damage to the engine.

Honestly the whole things seems fishy to me anyway. Spark plugs aren’t even supposed to be changed till 100K miles, and I’m only at 80K.

Also, the quote of $8-9K for the new (refurbished) engine was just for the engine, with labor it is estimated by the dealership at $14,300! I asked about a used engine and he said that wouldn’t come with a warranty. I laughed, obviously the warranty is useless anyway.

Right now, I’m waiting to hear back from Customer care as to whether they are willing to help out with this at all. If not, I’ll be towing the truck down to the city to get a better deal on a new engine I guess. What a mess!

If they refuse to cover this, and dealing with the zone manager isn’t helpful, I’d suggest towing it home and getting an attorney. Do not take it to another shop at this point, or attempt any repairs yourself.

It is much more probable that improper combustion, or another engine defect caused the spark plug to break apart than it is that a spark plug which ran fine for 80,000 miles spontaneously failed due to the spark plug itself being defective. If they want to take this position, they need to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that their opinion is correct. I suspect that if you have an attorney contact them, suddenly this will be “covered” as a goodwill repair, because they know that their position is BS.

1 Like

can they replace the cyl head? they were going to rebuild the top end at first and now say they cannot? a hole in piston?
my dad had new rings and valve guides installed in his ford 302 under warranty. they had to tear down the entire motor to do that. did it in 2 days. it might have even been 1 day?

If they keep refusing to play ball, I’d be playing up the suspicious timing. Yeah, it’s covered by warranty until we have the thing torn apart and have you over a barrel. Then, suddenly, you have to pay for it. BS.

3 Likes

Lawyer up, son

2 Likes

Contact the spark plug manufacturer. It’s possible they may be able to offer some help. Especially if this is a known problem to them.