How do i Flush the Brake fluid

95 Jeep Cherokee. Can i just crack the bleeders and keep the reservoir full or start farthest away from reservoir and work my way up?

First: this is a two-person job. Unless you have aftermarket bleeders with check valves in them*, the procedure you follow is:

1. Start with the furthest away brake, and work towards the master cylinder.
  2. Have an appropriate-sized wrench, a rubber hose over the bleeder nipple, and a container for the gunky fluid to flow into.
  3. Have an assistant behind the wheel.
  4. Yell to assistant: “ON the brake.”
  5. Crack open the bleeder; let fluid spurt.
  6. As flow slows, close bleeder.
  7. Yell to assistant: “OFF the brake.”
  8. Repeat steps 4-7 until fluid is clear/no bubbles as you choose. DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER EMPTY or you’ll have to start all over. Repeat at each brake.
  • Interesting to hear expert opinion on the desirability (or lack thereof) of “speed bleeders” with check valves in them, to make this a one-person job.

Thank You Kindly

One important step to add is to put a brick or a block of wood under the brake pedal to prevent it from sinking to the floor. Otherwise the MC piston goes into places it never goes, picks up a bunch of gunk, and then fails to seal.

Not sure how “expert” I’d be considered, but I’ve done a number of brake jobs over the years. I like the speed bleeders myself, especially since it keeps the SO from getting annoyed at having to sit in the car for half an hour obeying my commands :wink: But you have to be careful - sometimes they fail, and the ball valve doesn’t close, so you suck air when you’re not expecting it. That said, they’re cheap, so even if you have one go bad, it’s not a big deal to replace it.

Experts don’t use speed bleeders on customer’s cars, only enthusiasts do.

Experts use fluid tanks that mount onto the master cylinder and force pressurized fluid through the entire system. All they do is mount the tank to the m/c, fill it with fresh brake fluid, attach the shop air to the tank, pressurize it, and then open the bleeders from the furthest and work their way to the closest.

If the car has ABS, they will also cycle the ABS test system in order to bleed the ABS controller, too.

Some enthusiasts are now buying the pressurized brake fluid tanks, too.
I haven’t gotten around to picking one up yet, but I really, really want one.

BC.

Thanks Again. Any idea on the cost of this Pressurized Tank?

“Gravity bleeding” works on many cars…Just open all the bleeders and let the fluid slowly run out while you keep the reservoir full…It takes a while but it works…It also makes a big mess…

…unless you use 4 pieces of tubing, and 4 containers to catch it all. :slight_smile: