How do bad brakes affect handling

I think we are being a little harsh. Surely we all know someone that drives around with bald tires, bad breaks, poor steering etc. and never attempt to have it fixed. This guy is at least going to get it fixed, and he seems to be working but probably waiting on a paycheck to have it done.

To say he has no business owning a car because of what he said here is just plain ignorant.

It’s hard to describe, it just feels a bit difference since I noticed the sound. I do notice a very slight vibration in the wheel when I break, I can also hear the same exact sound for a quick brief second or so if i turn the wheel to the left, but not to the right. I think it might also be an aligntment issue since it’s been 2 years since I had it alligned and it will drift a bit to the left if I don’t have my hands on the steering wheel.

BRAKE/S!!!

@bertrand

“I don’t drive except back to work on the back streets with little to not traffic”

So what if a kid or some homeless guy happens to run out in front of the car?

I’m sorry, but there is no excuse for driving a car that you know has bad brakes

That car should be at the shop right now

Ask a friend to give you a ride to work

It’s simpler than hiring a lawyer after you hit someone because your brakes aren’t up to the job

Your brakes are probably starting to grind. I would rather have this guy on the road driving for a few weeks then a buzzed driver or someone driving like a goof.

I would rather not have have this guy on the road with bad brakes

I would also rather not have a buzzed driver on the road

I would also rather not have a goof driver on the road

All of them are potential dangers

I have zero options to get back and forth to work outside of my car. As for someone running in front of me…that’s on them, not me, stay out of the road. I could have great breaks and still run them over. Also the car stops, the back breaks are brand new, so the van can stop.

As far as I can tell all you’ve said about the brakes is that they make noise when you apply them. What kind of noise are we talking about? Squealing when the brakes are applied, for example, is not necessarily a sign of a problem. Squealing while driving that goes away when the brakes are applied is normally from a warning tab on the brake pads that mean they need to be replaced. A grinding noise means that you are metal on metal and the pads are completely gone.

Either way, it won’t give you a “handling problem” though you weren’t too specific about what that means.

nw2012 wrote:

I think we are being a little harsh.

Yes it does feel like it to me.
The guy only starting hearing a new sound. He had his brakes checked 6 months ago. His back brakes are new. He has an appointment to get the fronts done next week, and he is driving slowly on back roads to work till then.

Am I alone when I say I’ve been his shoes (eg: drove a vehicle with brakes of unknown quality)?

It’s a grinding sound and starts as soon as I apply the breaks. I can also hear that grinding sound for a brief second if I turn left, but it is real quick and gone if I am not breaking. The handling problem is a feel a slight shimmy in the wheel when I break. Also when I break the car will break to the left and not in a straight manner, but I believe that may be due in part to needing an alignment as it has been about 2 years since I had one.

By that description I’d say that you are metal on metal on one side and at least one pad (all pad material gone). It will pull to one side because one side is getting better braking power. The shimmy will be from uneven rotor surface. The whole scenario is rather dangerous.

That is why I am only driving back and forth to work and only have to do it 3 more days, stopped by the shop today, got an appointment and next Friday it gets repaired.

I may be in the minority. With back brakes being relatively new, and the fronts worn down to metal-on-metal (likely only one pad on one side at this point), if it were my car, I’d continue driving it another week till the shop fixes them.

JoeMario - definitely not alone in your way of thinking (or the fact that you’ve driven a vehicle with unknown brake qualities). I suspect we’re both in the minority though.

OP: This is a manifestly unsafe situation. The fact that your attitude is “I don’t want to DIY because I want somebody to sue if the SHTF” is bound to upset many.

Why not borrow the money from family? I get that running to mom is emasculating, but would’t a loved one feel better knowing you’re safe? I know I would gladly give up that $200, and say, “Take this and get your car sorted, today. Pay me back when you can, if you can.”

I think the situation here is quite common and @bertrand does seem quite concerned. He’s here looking for advice in hopes of safely getting through the week…

And, @bertrand, if the front brakes are grinding, i.e. metal on metal, the possibility of a catastrophic total loss of braking is possible, as is the lock up of one wheel. It would be impossible to give any assessment of the situation without inspecting the brakes but I would personally advise that you seek and take advantage of any rides from friends, etc, but if you see no alternative to continuing to drive the van as is do so very carefully.

Hey guys. I remember milking bald tires while going to college and wiring up the exhaust system.

I feel for him. Yes, when one does not have the money sometimes one is forced into unfortunate decision making. Not knowing how far it is to work makes a difference. Many times years ago I walked a couple miles to work back and forth. If it is 20 miles, and no public transportation, he is sort of stuck in a bad situation.

Remember. it is written God takes care of fools and drunks. Hee, hee.

But if those bald tires had blown out or lost their remaining tread on the freeway . . .

It occasionally happens, and the results can sometimes be catastrophic

Frankly I’d be more concerned about getting sued myself if I were in the OP’s situation. If he were to be at fault in an accident it was found that he was knowingly riding around on defective brakes, to me that constitutes gross negligence.