How do 20,000-mile oils work? Change filter at 10K?

You just did , everyone who visits this site can see it . Not sure why anyone would read all of it ?

1 Like

10K works fine. Been doing it since Mobil 1 came out in the mid 70s, with absolutely no issues. Better engines and better oil, is the answer.

And how many miles do you put on your vehicles before you sell them?

I know a guy who’d lease a new car every 2 years. Put about 30k miles in those 2 years and NEVER EVER changed the oil.

And then the person who buys this lease turn-in as a CPO finds that the engine starts having problems, and their warranty claim gets denied because they can’t prove proper maintenance since day one. What a joke.

Mileage is almost meaningless measure because there are so many different use cases. I keep my cars for 20+ years. They go to the junkyard for various reasons but haven’t yet had an engine be the reason. They can have 175k or 350k miles on them. The engine outlasted the rest of the car and that’s all that really matters.

Most lease contracts stipulate that you are required to have maintenance performed. I would hope at least some of them would demand evidence it was done on turn-in. But I don’t trust that they will, so I won’t buy an off-lease car that doesn’t have service records.

This would depend on the integrity of the selling dealer. In each case of engine trouble after the sale of a used lease return vehicle that I have seen, the service department filed a warranty claim for the repair or charged the used car department for the repair, you don’t hang this on the new owner.

You forgot to include the next part of that scenario.
Then, the sucker who bought that poorly-maintained/un-maintained vehicle comes to this forum to declare that all vehicles made by that company are junk.

3 Likes

No it isn’t. Do you do oil changes every 10k miles and keep them running for 20 years?

I can see it
It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me since I don’t have any ranges to reference, but I’m assuming everything is fine. As several of us have pointed out, though, if you’re running propane instead of gasoline or diesel, then I would expect that you would go longer distances without needing to change the oil so often.

1 Like

You obviously work/have worked for reputable dealer(s). However, from the discussions here on this website, we know that not all dealers and manufacturers operate this way. I recall two threads involving CPO Ford vehicles, and one thread involving a CPO Toyota Highlander where the manufacturer and the selling dealer were perfectly willing to hang the new owner out to dry, based on problems which obviously pre-dated the CPO sale of the vehicle.

I personally would never buy a CPO vehicle for the simple reason that when buying used you are taking a risk, and the cost-savings of a CPO vs. new is just not large enough to justify that risk. When we are talking about buying a 15-20 year old used car, obviously there is much more risk than buying new, but you’re also paying only a small fraction of the new cost. Therefore, to me, it makes way more sense to buy an old car with 150,000 to 200,000 miles than it would to buy a CPO with 20,000 to 60,000 miles.

Your answer is above. YES. Have been doing it for many, many years now.

You’re one of the few
I know several people who tried it and never got an engine to last over 150k miles

I’m sure there are use cases that would be disastrous to do it. That’s what I am talking about above with mileage. My service model is average; not severe and not ideal but in the middle. If you’re making a ton of short hops in cold weather, it might not be a good thing to do. That’s why I just follow the oil minder and change soon after it signals it’s time. It’s rarely shorter than 10k and sometimes up there around 14k. Like I said, been doing this for decades now and I’m more than comfortable with it.

Our VW 1.9 diesel in a Skoda started life on longlife (expensive) oils & extended service intervals where the electronics measure somehow when the oil (& filter) needs changing & was normally either side of 20k, until our garage decided to change it back to std oil & 10k/1yr at 125k. Still going strong at 200k+. The turbo was replaced at 100k though. It seems that diesels last longer in Europe but petrol engines do sound to last well in USA