HOV infrared camera?

Not me

I’m just having way too much fun with this discussion :smiley_cat:

When I was a boy my classmates used to set ants on fire with a magnifying glass. No matter how many times they burned ants in the same spot, the ants kept coming into that spot and getting torched. This seems to point toward the decisionmaking skills, or lack thereof, possessed by ants. I think it’s funny that it’s being suggested that we adopt ant traffic management techniques when ants are not even capable of rising to the level of “abject moron” on intelligence tests.

Personally I’m going to get my traffic pattern recommendations from actual experts in the field, not insects. I’m sure OP will consider that partisan, but I assure you it’s an engineering term.

1 Like

Jake brakes are loud. That’s not a political statement, it’s a fact.* If one of your county commissioners raised this issue for personal reasons, well, that’s one of the benefits of being in that position, but the whole community will benefit from this, not just the county commissioner.

As a former truck driver, I can tell you that not being allowed to use my Jake brakes in some areas did not create a hardship. Many drivers misuse or over-use their Jake brakes to save wear and tear on their air brakes, but you’re really only supposed to use them when going down a hill to control your speed without overheating your air brakes. If someone is using her or his Jake brakes on level ground or a slight incline to save wear and tear on the brake shoes, forbidding it doesn’t hurt a darn thing. In fact, there is scientific evidence that noise pollution can damage wildlife and negatively impact the health of people.

So unless this happens to be a stretch of highway where forbidding the use of Jake brakes will increase the danger of the air brakes overheating (because of a long steep incline), forbidding their use is a wonderful idea that I support wholeheartedly.

I have absolutely no issue with that. In fact, I wish we had a rule like that in this forum to stop people like you from politicizing non-political issues.

The smart way to react to this restriction would be to use magnetized signs on your vehicle that can be removed when you park it on the street instead of painting or wrapping the vehicle. This seems like a win/win scenario if there ever was one. The only issue that would make this political is if it were to be selectively enforced.

By the way, blank magnetized signs can also be used to cover political advertising while a vehicle is parked on the street. For goodness sake, man, there are all kinds of solutions to this problem that can help these poor downtrodden politicians comply with the darn law.

*Mea culpa, it’s not really a fact the way I stated it, but it is a well-substantiated opinion that I can easily support and defend.

4 Likes

I think I’ll keep my self-awareness and lack of group mind mentality…but thanks for the thought!

Amen

3 Likes

my suburb does not allow overnight parking on city streets. you can park in driveway on paved surface but car has to be licensed. you cannot park car on grass in your front yard or back yard. every home is required to have a garage. your driveway has to be 50’ in length from centerline of street, minimum. it can be longer though. (setback?) we live in a cookie cutter burb. beige is only approved house color. asphalt driveways are discouraged. too dark. concrete is preferred. its light.

Whitey

I hear Jake brakes all the time. They are not that loud unless you are close to them. I hear pickup trucks with (supposedly legal) loud exhausts that are louder.

That commissioner lived next to a steep hill.

Also note that he prohibited them in the entire county. He was totally trying to get rid of noise with no concern for safety.

We have a noise ordinance in my city that is totally unreasonable. It is obvious that someone just picked a decibel number without understanding what it really meant (or they used the totally unrealistic table I have that the EPA prepared). I got out my sound pressure level meter and caught the following violations:

• Wind rustling the tree leaves
  • Dogs barking a block away
  • Birds singing
  • Tire noises of a car rolling downhill past my house (the idling engine was inaudible)
  • Tire noises from a bicycle rolling down that same hill.
  • Noises from pedaling a bicycle up that same hill.
  • Distant thunder
  • Somebody mowing a lawn
  • A squirrel dropping nut hulls on a metal roof

The strange thing is that a boomcar (loud subwoofer) driving past did not violate the ordinance because they chose the A weighting to set the meter to.

The law prohibiting parking vehicles with political advertising on them on the street was being selectively enforced. And the Republican who was ticketed lives in a neighborhood that was developed before automobiles. There is nothing but on-street parking there. When it was developed, there was a stable at the end of the street where people “parked” their horses. It is now an apartment house.

Magnetized signs don’t work on fiberglass bodies. A friend found that out a few months ago - after he had already paid to have them made. He didn’t know until then his car has a nonferrous body.

I have a problem with government controlling advertising to create some imagined “public good” at the expense of individual rights. There is no right to a nice view. They control it so much here that often I have to drive around the block several times to find the business I need to go to. The signs have to be low or flat on the building, and so small that often you can’t find them.

Cavell

I would call your suburb a violation of individual property rights governed by pickybodies. More evidence that we have way too much government.

Government should come last, not first.

I was wondering if there exists a driveway type thing that is not impervious to water (for water management issues) and won’t cause a lot of mud or gravel to get tracked around and could be in a roll up form like a rug. Maybe, it would be like the material used in running tracks. Weeds would probably be troublesome. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

While I am commenting on this site, what does HOV stand for? Infrared in infrared cameras means that they work in the darkness without needing a flash for extra light?

Melisa, HOV means ( High Occupancy Vehicle ) that means lanes are not to be used by autos with only the driver. A driver and a passenger may use it. It does allow single rider motorcycles.
Roll up driveway like a rug ! Surely you jest :roll_eyes:

There is a city, Forest Park maybe and a few subdivisions that do not allow pick up trucks to be parked in driveways.

Yup, there are several options. This link will tell you more:

The main problem with permeable pavers and concrete is that if you live in a place that gets snow, the scraping of snow blowers/plows and the salt can degrade it faster than regular asphalt.

Another problem with pavers is that, unless they’re professionally-installed to support the weight of a vehicle using construction sand, some of them are going to sink under the weight. Actually, this is a problem with most amateur-installed pavers, even for foot traffic and golf cart traffic.

Few DIYers are willing to do the work of installing pavers properly, but if you have the patience to watch some home-and-garden shows or sit through a free seminar at Home Depot, it can be done.

1 Like

there is a “low income” or income limitied complex near us. looks like a row of townhouses. at first the city planners were thinking of allowing the units to not require garages for each unit because the driveways are only 20’ long to curb. but the city allowed a variance for the short driveways. technically it is a private street. sort of an “access” lane and not really a city road. funny how the city council has special rules for some folks. the 300k townhouses across the main road sure look like the low income units. except for size. length of driveway. width of road and so on. a number of the LI units have cars parked in driveways. so the rear bumper is at the curb. but than i dont drive down this dead end road.

Not to mention the effects of thawing and freezing water trapped in the “pores”. They’ve been experimenting with various asphalt formulations on the expressway near me. The results are dramatic. There is virtually no spray from cars ahead of you. But, it only seems to last a few years before they are grinding it back up and trying something else. It’s always dramatically degraded after each winter and you can see the gravel just popping out after freeze/thaw cycles. You’d think they would limit it to a mile of roadway but this is a 20 mile stretch spanning two states! You can guess who is footing the bill…

1 Like

I installed pavers for a 20’x30’ patio out back. Of course I did it with a pro installer that laid the base using a laser surveying system to ensure the grade was about 3 degrees. It does pay to use the pros for a few things.

At least it’s not as bad as that stupid “solar roadway” scam that people keep getting excited about. :wink:

This must be in the south. The darker the driveway is - the better here in the north. When sun hits the driveway during the winter…and ice is just melted away. I always notice a big change after the driveway is seal-coated.