Honda

Honda engine races with no reason

No reason ? , Honda races to win !

atv ?
generator ?
motorcycle ?

I think that it is probably a Honda lawnmower.

Heck , I thought people knew about this . Will try again !
Honda has a problem with Honda cars . When you start the car and put it in drive , the engine races and most of the time , it will total the car . Honda will not admit to this but it happens quite often and it was in click and clack maybe 3 - 6 months ago . I was just trying to find out if they found the problem . No , it is not a race engine or a lawnmower , just a plain Honda .

Maybe it does no happen as often as you think?

Do you have a question?

No, we hadn’t heard of case of “unintended acceleration” on Hondas. It may happen sometime; but, not often enough to make the news.
Hondas have a cold idle rpm which can be as much as 1500 to 2,000 rpm.
Could this be the “unintended acceleration”?

“When you start the car and put it in drive , the engine races and most of the time , it will total the car”

“Most of the time, it will total the car”???
If that was actually the case, when you consider the huge number of Hondas sold every year, the landscape would be littered with the hulks of all of those Hondas that were totaled “most of the time”.

Now, do you think that perhaps you are grossly exaggerating a situation that has not even come up on anyone’s radar screen?

If you believe that you have an “unintended acceleration” problem with your Honda, it is your responsibility to report it to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) via their website. If a number of similar cases are reported, that initiates an investigation. If the investigation substantiates a problem affecting a significant number of vehicles, a recall can be ordered.

It would be beyond helpful to list make model and year of vehicle.

Honda has made several million cars over the years. You need to narrow it down.

Writing it is a Honda is meaningful as writing GM down.

Hate to break it to ya, but if a Honda leveled an entire city due to a defect, it still wouldn’t make the news. But, if a Ford or Chevy started smoking from the tailpipe, it’d be covered on all the news channels for the next 2 weeks.

“No , it is not a race engine or a lawnmower , just a plain Honda .”

Not mine. I never heard of this. I have a 2005 Accord EX V6 with AT. Maybe you have something else. Maybe not; who knows?

“Hate to break it to ya, but if a Honda leveled an entire city due to a defect, it still wouldn’t make the news. But, if a Ford or Chevy started smoking from the tailpipe, it’d be covered on all the news channels for the next 2 weeks.”

Not true.

If a Honda leveled an entire city, it would be news.

On the other hand, if a Ford or Chevy leveled a city, people would be shocked that either of those vehicles could function long enough to level anything.

Well heck , I guess I opened a can of worms . I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem . It has never happened to me but I may buy a Honda someday , maybe! Anyway , I know some people it happened to , and then I saw an artical on click and clack . Acording to them , Honda knows nothing about it . It is not the low RPM like 1500 or 2000 . I think more like 5000 rpm . I want you Honda lovers to think back and see if you can think of anyone that had this problem . Someone just lost control . They ran there car into something for no reason . Most people just said they must have hit the gas instead of the brakes . I have to guess this happens maybe one time in the life of the car . Problem just goes away and never happens again !!!

As far as I’m concerned, most unintended acceleration accidents are owner inflicted, although the owners certainly don’t think that way.
Someone touches the wrong pedal during a 1/2 second of inattention, smashes into something, and after those initial 10 seconds of panic have subsided along with those 10 seconds of memory, they start honestly believing the car did it all on its own.

A friend of mine years ago pulled into a 7-11 in his Ford, jumped the curb and plowed through the plate glass front. His car shoved 3 rows of merchandise clean against the walk-in cooler in the back. Luckily, no was happened to be in that spot at the time. He insisted to everyone, including the cops, that the car did it on its own. About 2 months later he 'fessed up and stated that after thinking about it that he did depress the accelerator pedal right before this happened.

Same thing with the 80s era Audi Death Mobiles. All owner-inflicted crashes and many of those people who claimed the car did it retracted their stories; some after they were confronted with a few chinks in their stories.

“Problem just goes away and never happens again”

Hmmmm…That sure sounds quite a bit different from your earlier pronouncement, “Most of the time, it will total the car”. Do you think that you may be guilty of just a bit of exaggeration in the disasterous characterization that you were painting for us?

And, as ok4450 stated, almost all incidents of unintended acceleration are the result of driver error. My best friend’s Accord was totaled last year by a very stupid woman who broadsided us with her Lexus SUV. She told the cops, “The harder I pressed the brake, the faster it went”. Forensic examination of her vehicle indicated that the brakes were in perfect working order, and the police report attributes the collision to driver error.

Unintended acceleration may occur on a very occasional basis to a few isolated vehicles, but what is much more common in our society is stupidity and distracted behavior on the part of the driver, and unfortunately nobody seems to have a solution for those problems.

Unintended acceleration is practically impossible to prove. It may happen; but, what would cause a mechanical throttle to advance? A counter-balance spring (if it had one) breaking?
There are some vehicles with electronic throttles which I see as being more capable of an uncommanded (by the driver) actuation (resulting in acceleration).
A mechanical throttle can hang open after being depressed (for an intended acceleration) which would cause an unintended acceleration; but, the driver should realize this condition.
During my driving life, I have once (maybe, twice) depressed the gas pedal when I had intended to depress the brake pedal. For me, nothing (other than surprise) untoward happened.