Honda vs. Mazda vs. Hyundai

Drive all three and choose the one that you like best.

Never mind this Honda worship crap! Stop by a Honda dealership garage and see the mechanics earn themselves a handsome income, just like every other make and model.

You’ll be just as a happy in a Mazda or Hyundai.

I would not recommend a Hyundai in your mix unless bought used/slightly used. They have excessive depreciation and you will find yourself at a serious loss if get into a totaling accident, stolen car, or life change requiring vehicle change.

The Honda is likely a better buy new since depreciation is very low and Mazda 3 is average on depreciation. Good luck.

I presume she is looking new and the current iteration of Civic’s and Honda Accord’s (4cylinder) use a timing chain.

They may use a timing chain now…but they’re still a interference engine.

As the posters say, you can’t go wrong with these. I would drive the basic model of each with the accessories you want. Stay away from the performance models, steam roller tires, and sliding roofs, etc. Happy shopping!

Are you looking for a new car? I’ve priced out the Mazda3 sedan and hatchback, and it’s going to be tough to stay under $18,000. With your desired options, the sedan easily costs that much, and the hatchback is more like $20,000. My boyfriend’s 07 Civic LX cost him $19,500 or so. I’d guess the Elantra fits better into your price range, but hands down I’d go for the Mazda3 even if it’s used.

If you want a new car, the Toyota Yaris sedan is considerably cheaper. I have a friend with an 07, and he’s got no complaints. I drove it on a road trip down to Florida, and I thought it handled really well. It also got 45 mpg while I was driving on the highway. The Nissan Versa sedan and hatchback are also similar, less expensive options.

Update: I just noticed this thread is really old. OP: if you see this, what’d you pick?

They may use a timing chain now…but they’re still a interference engine.

LOTS of engines out there are of “interference” design. So long as you bother to change the timing belt on schedule, you’ll never notice the difference. If you neglect the belt, and it breaks, yes you’ll have bent metal. Timing chains are usually good for life, or at least give plenty of warning that they’re going.

If absolutely everything else about two cars were equal, I might take the non-interference engine over the interference design, but that would be wa-a-a-a-ay down the list. To fixate on this one design feature seems a bit anal to me.