Honda rims

I bought four new tires in June 2022 (2010 Fit). Two weeks later I replaced a valve stem. Two weeks later I replaced another (same place), then another (different place) and fast forward to Sept 2023 I replaced number 7. I’m told the best solution is to replace the crappy factory rims and was given a price of $1,000 each by a Honda dealer because they’re 15.5" and therefore special.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m obviously not paying that.

I’d be really surprised if all 4 factory Honda wheels had somehow gone bad.

Since your problems started when you got the new tires, I’d start there first.

If you just have to get “new” wheels…go look online and/or in junkyard for “used” wheels. If you don’t mind a few scuffs or scratches, I’m sure you could get a nice set for a few hundred dollars, if that. But like I said, I doubt your problem is with the wheels.

2 Likes

Are they installing metal valve stems or rubber valve stems?

Tester

My daughters 2012 RAV4 had rusted steel rims that caused the valve stem to leak, no way to repair them. I have seen several others on the road with rust developing. My local independent shop gave me a fair price on the stems/tpms but said I could do better shopping around for rims. I ended up with a nice looking set from Pep Boys

Start on line searching you will find something you like. I did a quick search and found steel rims for $54 each and nice looking aluminum rims for less than $200 each.

1 Like

I really couldn’t say. I’ll be there on Monday. I’ll ask

1 Like

Yeah, I think his quote was off. He was going to get someone else to text me

No. I’ve never experienced any valve stem failures in any of my cars in the past 55 years. Maybe b/c all my cars have used steel rims. My guess however is this has nothing to do with the rims and that the replacement valve stems were all cheapo-versions & defective. Suggest to have 4 new valve stems installed by your Honda dealer.

I’m presuming the failure mode is the rubber part of the valve stem split or broke. If you had a different failure mode, explain.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a 15.5" rim

I’d look at the wheel (rims) and tire that keeps needing valve stem. Are the rims scratched? Are the tires scuffed on the side you can see? If that is the case, it isn’t the rim, it is your driving.

2 Likes

I do very little driving, and even less in winter. I’m retired. Honda guy said they’re just cheap rims and they have a lot of problems with them but all four at once seems odd

Corroded wheels will leak even with new valve stems.

Tire Rack has steel wheels for $80 each, alloy wheels starting at $125 each.

2 Likes

Your base model Fit OEM wheels are 15 X 5.5, that means they are 15" diameter and 5.5" wide… They are special because 15" wheels are basically obsolete now a days and 15" tires (yours are 175/65R15) are getting harder and harder to find in general (still plenty in your size)… The Fit Sport model has 16X6 wheels with 185/55R16 tires that are getting even harder to find tires for in that size…

Yes wheels corrode, you can take your wheels to a wheel repair shop and have them reconditioned to like new again for a price… You would just need to call to get prices to recondition them vs replace them…

2 Likes

You can get a complete set of 4 tires+wheels+TPMS for $1400. And yes, no such thing as 15.5” wheels.

1 Like

I don’t think your problem is the wheels, I think it is your hub caps. Either they are not being installed with the notch directly over your valve stems or the hub caps are rotating against the wheel over time.

Most hub caps are made from plastic with a wire retainer ring. If a few plastic teeth break off, the retaining ring will get loose and the hub cap can rotate just from wheel inertia.

You can remove the hub caps and throw them away. You can leave the wheels as is or paint them. You can buy aftermarket hubcaps but they generally don’t last as long as the factory ones. Or you can buy after market alloy wheels and never worry about hub caps.

If you go with after market alloy wheels, the best time to do this would be when you buy tires. It will be easier to change the wheel and tire size at that time. But a caution, many after market wheels are not a perfect fit, especially in the hub size. Most have larger hub holes so they can fit all vehicles. If you get a set with larger hub holes, make sure you get the hub ring adapters, otherwise your wheels will always feel like they are out of balance

1 Like

Yes, i misunderstood the 15 x 5. Thank you for clarifying

No one mentioned that the problem could stem from the shop NOT replacing the valves. It would explain why there were failures and why they failed about the same time.

2 Likes

My 2015 civic had steel wheels.

I recommend steel wheels. They are apt to be durable, light and inexpensive compared to the now-common alloy wheels. The Honda original steel wheels on my 1999 Civic have given no problems. The steel wheels from tirerack with winter tires, same.

Are they rusty after 24 years in MN and WI? Yes! But they have never leaked. A new set of wheel covers every few years (they, not the wheels, can get scratched and cracked) fixes that, if it matters to you or the next purchaser.

1 Like