Honda HRV being 141HP and 1.8lit SOHC?

Honda HRV has only 141hp
My current Acura Integra also has about that much hp but DOHC

Should this be a concern? I might have 4 passengers + a full carfo space. No towing. Some routes might be hilly.

I was a bit disappointed that it has SOHC - but unsure what that means to mpg and hp?

OTH, CRV gives about the same gas mileage but 185hp with DOHC.

I am sure it will be just fine, Last underpowerd car I remember for normal use was in the 70’s, corolla of a buds, or a vw bus.

Both engines have 4 valves per cylinder. Both engines use rocker arms as the V-tec design does not work with direct cam actuated valves. So the issue is not SOHC vs DOHC but one of the cam profile used and other design elements, i.e. compression ratio. Does your Integra require premium fuel?

2 Likes

Two words- ( Test Drive )

1 Like

@keith:
Integra uses regular gas - unsure about vtec version

Yeah, HRV has V-tec or iVtec engine - the Vtec in Integra gives closer to 200hp
HRV also has CVT - there are two plus points - but don’t know why the HP is lower?

HRV is 3k lbs in weight.

Salesman was saying HRV drives like the Fit whereas CRV drives like an Accord - no clue.

Difficult to stimulate the extreme conditions on a test drive.

I was driving a new 2016 Ford escape on I-101, I-405 near LosAngeles - when downhill, it felt as if multiple forces are acting on the SUV - was worried about loosing control despite I was braking. Despite my interest in driving, I never experienced this - I also driven less SUVs - liked Cars.

The salesman was on the right track with the differences, the HRV is closely related to the Fit while the CRV uses the same 4 cylinder engine as the Accord.

Yes, but the body of the CRV and the ride feeling is more like a lifted Civic-that is what it is a CUV based on the Civic, not the Accord.

I like the looks of the HRV better than the Civic but remember reading a review somewhere that was saying buying the HRV you don’t save much money over a CRV but end up loosing some serious space/power.

I am not sure what the exact problem with the Escape is though, you’ll have to elaborate.

We test drove quite a few compact CUV’s before settling on a 2015 Hyundai Tucson SE. It is the previous generation and the SE trim has a 2.4 engine instead of the 2.0 in the base model. I could tell the difference and it is nice to have the extra power. The same engine is also on the Santa Fe Sport (one size bigger).

I agree with the idea for the test drive. The problem is you have to simulate a route very close to what you would drive the car on.

Is Tuscan/Hyundai reliable?

Fit has 1.5L DOHC with 130hp -it is hard for me to make comparison with HRV.

HRV has a unique feature of putting the rear seat in vertical position creating a lot of cargo space.
I wish HRV has the same engine as CRV if not the Civic R type engine.

Cars made for the US are almost always overpowered (in my opinion).

I don’t remember the model, but the car talk guys were talking about fuel economy in the US version compared to the UK version. Turns out that the smallest engine available in the US was more powerful than the largest engine available in the UK.

2 Likes

Definitely do a test drive at full load. The tests I’ve read of the HRV commented on its relative poor performance with the CVT.

near LosAngeles - when downhill, it felt as if multiple forces are acting on the SUV - was worried about loosing control despite I was braking.

The above statement by the OP makes me think that their driving skills might not be as good as they think. A driving school might be a good investment because most people drive different vehicles without concern.

1 Like

It seems to me that driving conditions and circumstances are wildly different in the US and the UK and the differences may be justified. While a lower powered car would suit a local commuter just fine, we have stretches of roads where more power and torque are needed and I don’t think that’s the norm in Britain. I was once talking with a Brit working in my city, and he was describing an onerous journey by car. I know the exact route he was describing and I consider it a pleasant afternoon drive.

Many of us need our cars not just to get us around town but also to haul a family of 4 with a roof rack over the mountains at 75mph. A 90hp engine may not be up to the task.

1 Like

Somewhere back up the site there’s a picture of Jonathan Winters explaining the difference between horsepower and torque. Let’s not forget torque. We need ever increasing hp because smaller engines just don’t have any torque.

I think a full size Buick from 1975 with a 350(5.7 liter) engine was rated at something like 145hp. But it was also able to move the car because of all the torque.

2 Likes

NEEDED? I don’t think needed. Wanted maybe!! I’ve driven most of the states this side of the Mississippi in 4cylinders and never found myself NEEDING more power.

1 Like

And that’s EXACTLY the way many people like it, and they don’t want it to change

:smile:

@VOLVO_V70
" The above statement by the OP makes me think that
_ their driving skills might not be as good as they think. A driving _
_school might be a good investment because most people drive different _
vehicles without concern."
The above statement shows poor judgement because “most people drive different vehicles without concern.” does not prove or disprove the first part of the sentence

This is what I have politely asked in the past @VOLVO_V70 to away from my posts.

I like Volvo’s comments

:thumbsup:

@BillRussell
I see it this way-in UK gas prices are very high-Cars are more compact and the roads are narrow
Engines might be1.3L but to compensate they come with manual tranny

However, they still have Audi A6,Bentelys, Rollce Roce -these are V6 or V8

@texases comment of relative poor performance of CVT is a concern to me.

No. SOHC = Single overheard cam , in an inline 4, it just means it has a single camshaft that’s positioned inside the head. DOHC means there are two camshafts in the head. In both instances the camshaft(s) are positioned above the combustion chamber(s).

In your applications, both engines have 16 valves, four valves per cylinder, two intake and two exhaust. There’s nothing inherent about one being better or having more power or being more economical than the other. Honda used SOHC engines quite frequently up to a few years ago. Their newer mainstream “Earth Dreams” 2.4L and 3.5L engines are DOHC though.

The Integra with the 1.8L made between 140 HP (no VTEC) for the RS trim and 195 HP(VTEC) for the very rare and very desirable Type R (if you have one, people will pay handsomely for it), the most powerful mainstream model was the GS-R with 170 HP(VTEC). If you have an automatic Integra then you have the non-VTEC 140 HP engine. Integras didn’t much much torque 120-130 lb-ft was all they had. Consequently they comparatively short gearing to make then more driver friendly in typical driving.

The HR-V is based on the Fit, it’s heavier than the Integra, But still pretty light for a compact CUV. It’s has i-VTEC, i-VTEC is different from the standard form of VTEC in that it allows for continuous adjustment of the valve timing rather than the on/off system of the standard VTEC. It makes for wider power band. The HR-V is not a fast vehicle, it will probably seem pretty pokey compared to an Integra.

Just to add to the issue of the Escape feeling strange, with unpredictable control. Lots of new cars have all sorts of electronic features that operate to influence what seem to be control issues. Adaptive cruise control will apply the brakes if you overspeed going downhill, and also if you approach a slower vehicle. Lane keeping will continually twitch the steering (and feels like the front end is falling apart) and can be very strange until you understand what’s going on. Both will make you feel like you are in danger of losing control. You aren’t really, and you can turn those things off if you want, or better yet don’t buy them in the first place. It’s up to you.

1 Like