Honda CR-V first tune-up

A friend’s CR-V is having his car taken to have a tune-up. Its the first time this car has had a tune up and the mechanic knows this. He quoted a price of $250.

does that sound about right? Car runs fine,no issues.

Thanks

It depends on the list of maintenance items. Usually, by the first tune-up, there is a list of other maintenance items that also need attention to keep it running good. Ask the mechanic for an itemized list of work, and compare to the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual.

Sounds good to me.

Is this the 100k miles+ vehicle?

First off, no way should spark plugs be allowed to remain in the engine for that lock. They quite possibly have lost their peak efficiency some time ago plus leaving plugs in that long can cause them to seize in the threads. Removing them COULD damage the threads which will mean more money.

Tune-up is not really the appropriate word on today’s cars.

Step one in doing a proper “tune-up” is removal of the spark plugs and a compression test. I know that in theory the engine should not have a mechanical fault, but my last comment will reflect on that.
It makes no difference, a compression test is always step one. This rules out any mechanical fault that may cause a loss of performance. And yes, faults can occur any time. I’ve had to do too many repairs on engines that did not even have 25k miles on them.
Replacement of plugs, fuel and air filters, service the PCV valve is about it short of the following detail.

Valve adjustment of the mechanical lifters SHOULD be part of the “tune-up”. In the interest of making their cars appear more “maintenance free” Honda, and Toyota, have extended the interval for valve adjustment checks to over 100k miles.
In a word; stupid. It should be checked every 30k miles at the most.

Chances are the adjustment is within tolerance, but that’s where the word “check” comes in. It’s to verify that the adjustment is fine, and to adjust if needed.
Excessively loose valve lash will beat cam lobes. adjusters, or cam followers to death over time, and excessively tight valve lash will cause loss of performance and possibly destruction of the exhaust valves (most common) and valve seats in the cylinder head.

Some CRV owners have found out the hard way about this extended interval valve lash check.