Honda Civic won't start

My 2005 Honda Civic sedan will not start. When you turn the key, the needles on the gauges vibrate and the odometer and the interior light flicker. This also happens when you open the door. Engine does not turn over. No engine noise at all. Headlights do not work. No dashboard lights come on. About 15 minutes prior, car started and drove fine with no idication of any problem. Any idea what the problem is? I’m thinking it’s not the battery because of the weird things with the gauges and the interior light.

It could be the battery. Today’s batteries can fail suddenly, good one moment and dead the next. It seems that your battery has shorted out internally. If it isn’t the battery it is loose or corroded battery cables either at the battery itself or at the other end where the cables attach to the motor and ground.

How would a dead battery cause the gauges to vibrate and the odometer and interior light to flicker on and off when you open the door? The same thing happens when you step on the brake. If the car just wouldn’t start, I would assume battery. It’s the weird flickering/ vibrating that makes me wonder.

The battery can fail with a short and no voltage, but it can also fail making too much voltage. My truck did that and the wipers and some other stuff started operating on their own with no key in the ignition. Battery was putting out more than 20 volts. So at least check your battery voltage.

The battery can fail with a short and no voltage, but it can also fail making too much voltage.

Sorry buy no. The alternator/regulator can cause high voltage, but not the battery. A problem with the alternator/regulator is also likely to cause the flickering.

It’s probably the battery.

All the lights that are flickering and the gauges acting erratically can be caused from a battery with low voltage. All these things are controlled by modules. If the battery voltage drops below 10.5 volts it can cause the modules to act erratically causing the symtoms you describe. Also, a battery that only puts out 10.5 volts isn’t going to start the engine.

Tester

If the battery is original, change it. It’s five (5) years old. That’s the point (in time) that batteries lose their oomph (die).
If the battery is not original, get a jump start, and go to an auto parts store for a free curbside battery/ alternator test. Then, see a mechanic with the results.

Sounds more like the battery connections are corroded. You ought to need a new battery by now anyway. Get one from Costco and they’ll install it and clean the clamps as part of the service.

“Get one from Costco and they’ll install it and clean the clamps as part of the service”

Unless Costco’s tire shop operates differently in different parts of the country, I believe that you are wrong.
In NJ, batteries are sold, but are not installed, by Costco’s tire technicians.

I stand corrected. Mine (in California) does.