Honda Civic SI with over 180,000 - Need advice :)

Hello - My husband drives a 2002 Honda Civic SI with over 180,000 miles on it. We love the car but it needs approx $2000 worth of repairs inc a clutch and catelytic converter. My husband seems to think he can get another 100,000 miles out of this great little car if we do these necessary repairs. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated !

What shape are the interior and body?
Dealer or independent shop?
Did you get a second opinion/estimate?

Don’t see why it can’t go lots more miles, perhaps even 100K more. Clutch is just replacing a part that should be worn out by 180K miles. Pretty much same with the cat converter. If the body is good and it isn’t burning oil, why won’t it go more miles? I have an '03 Civic EX 5 spd and it is very solid at 115K miles. You can expect some repairs along the way but another 100K miles is certainly possible.

THe price is a very rough estimate from independent shops. THe body is a little dinged, but nothing major. The seat fabric on the drivers side is beginning to wear through but other than that the interior is in pretty good shape. We really enjoy the car - it is an extremely fun car to drive…thanks again for any advice :slight_smile:

Pretty much same with the cat converter

Really??? I’ve NEVER worn out a catalytic converter…

Clutch I agree with.

Mike, I think it is the catalytic converter - his check engine light has been on for about 5 years now - somehow they tweek it when it’s time to get smogged, but it always comes right back on. I hope I am making some sense :slight_smile:

Update from Husband - he is saying it is not the entire Catalytic converter but the two sensors related to the converter which need to be replaced…He has been told this model has a reputation for burning out and one or both need to be replaced. IF so which one is more important to replace??? Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

That light can come on for many reasons, some of which read like a bad cat, but are actually caused by a bad oxygen sensor or something else. I’d want to make very sure it’s actually the cat before replacing it, it could be something cheaper.

If he likes it, these are reasonable costs to keep it running.

You’re talking about the two oxygen sensors, fore and aft. The computer codes(s) should tell you which is bad. Replacement should have been done years ago, rather than the tweaks. It will be much cheaper than replacing the cat converter.

By all means, replace the clutch. This is a normal repair on a car with that mileage. Get the clutch fixed and you are good to go for another eight years.

I agree with texases… BUT!!! $2000 for a clutch and converter?

Steve, he has been told the codes won’t tell you which sensor is out (that it could be one or both) - does that sound right? THank you again for your advice - we both really appreciate it! The price to repair was $350 per sensor…thanks again :slight_smile:

@binkman: “I agree with texases… BUT!!! $2000 for a clutch and converter?”

Yep. The catalytic converter itself (it is integrated into the exhaust manifold) probably costs at least $900 when you include labor.

@MikeInNH: “Really??? I’ve NEVER worn out a catalytic converter…”

The one on my Civic went out at just above the 100,000 mile mark. I would have ignored it, but the exhaust manifold part of it was cracked, so I bit the bullet. Also, I had the cat clog up in my 1985 Buick Skyhawk, but the replacement for that one only cost me about $79.

@tlo, I would do the repairs. My 1998 Civic DX has about 210,000 miles on the odometer, and I plan to keep it going at least until it hits the 300,000 mile mark.

A good mechanic can read the signals coming from the sensors and tell which is(are) bad.

Thank you everyone!

Guess I agree although the prices seem a little high. With that many miles, it won’t be worth much anyway so might as well get some use out of it.