Honda Civic has troubles starting up after sitting several hours

I have had that problem for weeks now. But now it reached a point were i can no longer ignore it… everytime i start my car after sitting several hours it has serious troubles starting up. I have to hold the key in the start position for several seconds so that the engine can hold itself without stalling. After that it still misfires for a few seconds but eventually it smooths out. I suspect the spark plugs since i don’t know when they got changed in the past.

Oh and i don’t have a Check Engine Light

The next time you go to start the car after it has sat, turn the ignition switch on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, it points to a problem with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump.

Tester

3 Likes

So i tested your procedure but “unfortunately” it’s not making any difference. I really suspect the Spark Plugs or fuel injectors.

Here is a Video i took this morning.

Nevermind i cant figure out how to make the link public

Edit#2 now the link is working

You might have a leaking injector. Does holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking make any difference? I don’t know if 1 of 4 leaking would have much effect, but try it.

Would a leaky injector cause the engine to run only on 2 cylinders?

No, but two leaking, or two not working, or one of each could.

Basics: get the right plugs (see owners manual or underhood sticker.) Take the old ones out, label them 1-2-3-4, inspect them. Do they indicate a problem in one or more cylinders? Do a compression test. If compression is OK, put in the new plugs.

1 Like