Honda Brake Pedal to the Floor

If anyone who can give me some guidance with the brake problem I’m having with my 03 Odyssey, I’d appreciate it.

I have a 03 Odyssey that has a break pedal that when you are driving it goes all the way to the floor. If you pump it again, you get a good pedal. I thought it was the master cylinder but I replaced it and there was no improvement.

Here are some of the symptoms:

-When driving first push of the brake pedal goes to the floor, the next one is good.

• I checked and there is good vacuum coming from the manifold to the booster pump.
  • With the car off, if you pump the brakes you get better pedal each time you pump the pedal, but when you start the car it goes straight to the floor.
    -With the car running, the first time I hit the pedal it goes all the way to the floor.
  • With the engine running, if press-and-hold the brake pedal, then turn the engine off. Nothing happens to the pedal height

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Yes, let a professional brake shop solve this .

4 Likes

Yes, they have the tools and experience to figure this out. Could be a bad MC - I had a bad new one once - or air trapped somewhere. The ABS control module may need a special tool and procedure to get air out of it. Then the system needs to be bled. If the new MC is bad, it will then be evident.

Did you replace the M/C yourself? If so, did you bench bleed it before connecting the brake lines?

1 Like

Yes, I bled the MC.

Not just bled, but bench bled - with the gizmo with the pipe and fittings?

Since your repair did not solve the problem, it probably was not the problem. Did you bleed all the brake lines? Are you loosing any brake fluid? I am not a mechanic, but recall seeing references to the non metal hoses in the brake system.

Next question: does the vehicle have ABS? If so, you may not be able to successfully bleed the system without specialized equipment.