Honda Accord: Horrible Seats

Back in the mid 70s a girlfriend bought a little car and I can only remember that it was a
Sun-something and that it had horrible seats.

It was fine for short trips within 30 minutes, but when we took it on a trip for a couple of hours it we both suffered from it’s uncomfortable seats. We were in our 20s so we had no problems with our backs or hips etc…

Ever since that when I go to buy a vehicle, I always insist that I at least sit in the drivers seat for at least an hour. I’ll go get a book, some magazines or newspapers and plant myself for as long as I can.

A few salesmen didn’t like the idea, until I claimed I’d go elsewhere.

Yosemite

I think it’s all a matter of the size and shape of the people in the seat. Some seats fit me much better than others. My 5’ 4" wife finds her Escape to be quite comfy on trips of any length. I drove it three hours one morning, and about needed a trip to the chiropractor that afternoon. A Taurus fits me fine. A Lumina doesn’t. A Mercedes sedan is quite comfortable. An SL class isn’t.

I’ve driven a few Ford Fusions as rentals and the driver’s seat can be pretty good, especially if it has a full power option. But the front passenger seat is something else completely. When I get the driver’s seat set up like I want it, the passenger’s seat is much lower, maybe 6 inches or so. It’s really crazy. It’s like the passenger is sitting in a hole. And there’s no passenger up and down adjustment. So the driver is up, sitting normally with knees bent, and the passenger is down near the floor, feet out in front complaining about back pain. What a stupid place to save a few dollars! Doesn’t Ford understand that if the passenger isn’t happy, the driver’s not going to buy the car?

Back in the mid 70s a girlfriend bought a little car and I can only remember that it was a Sun-something and that it had horrible seats.

Probably the Pontiac Sunbird. Friend of mine had one…I don’t remember if the seats were bad or not.

I’ll bet you’re right @MikeinNH that it was a Sunbird.

I do remember that the seat felt like you were sitting on a gravel pile.

Yosemite

This is a really late response, but I have a related question.
As my username implies, I love Honda’s- Accords specifically. I’ve owned a 97 EX, a 2009 EXL V6, and now a 2014 EXL V6.
The seats in the 09 (8th gen) Accord are far more comfortable and supportive than the9th gen seats.
The driver’s seat in the 2014 has a smaller, thinner cushion and much less side bolstering.
The end result is, you have to work harder to stay centered during corners. This makes it less engaging and more tiresome.
I assume Acura TLX or RL seats are better.
And, since the RL is built on the Accord platform, I wonder if they’re interchangeable.
Does anyone know if either of these is true? Can I put an Acura drivers seat in my 2014 Accord?
If so, would it be any better than the OEM Accord seat?

Even if the seat tracks are compatible, you have to verify whether the side airbags that are contained in the Acura’s seats are compatible with the impact sensors of the Honda. If they are not compatible, then those side airbags will not deploy, or will not deploy properly.

How you would verify their compatibility is something that I will leave to someone else.

Find one on a used car lot and set in them and then you will know. Comfort is a personal feeling so what might be fine to one person will not be to someone else.

Why not just trade for another vehicle that meets your criteria ?

2 Likes

When you replace a seat - it would be easier to just unbolt seat from floor. Chances are the Acura seats will fit. But you make a good point about the airbags.

I bought the 2014 model used(CPO) and just paid it off last month. I’m thinking about upgrades. :blush:

Good point. Thanks

How hard will it be to find seats that match what is already there . If they are are different fabric or leather color that is just going to look terrible. If you have the replacement seats recovered to match the interior you will spend a lot of money and if they are not that much better what will you do then.