Hitching a Honda

Just watch out for books, they are very heavy for the volume used, easy to overload with just a small number of boxes.

I don’t disagree with the caution of everyone but I had pulled a camper grossing at about 2200# from Minnesota to Florida every year for about 15 years, through ice, snow, rain, wind, on flat ground and in mountains with no trouble. I did use a full size car though, not a compact. In Europe, the little cars pull camper trailers all the time.

First thing though is check with a dealer or owners manual on the limits for towing. Honda has been very strict on towing and my Acura has a zero towing capacity even though it is a reasonably large car with a V6. If they allow towing, then you need a class I or II hitch with electrical. That’ll cost you about $300 or more. If a U Haul trailer is 850 pounds, you can buy a 300# trailer at a farm store and sell it again when you get there. All expenses told though, you might be better off to just rent a small truck and dolly to pull your car for about the same cost.

One often neglected item which determines a cars towing capacity is the gear ratio. Smaller cars can successfully pull trailers in Europe, but the difference is, the average driver there puts on about 4500 miles a year, less then one third that of the average driver here. If you reduce by 1/3 the life of the car because of towing, you may never realize it. Likewise, car towing capacities are much less restrictive. With the price of fuel, you don 't see an f150 in every other drive. Yes little cars pull campers, but less safely.