Hit curb 10mph brand new Corolla - mild vibration after

I’ve never heard of this. You’re turning the wheel, yet feel a pull? What exactly does this feel like? You have to turn the wheel more than you used to for a given turn? Less?

I thought I read that the 2nd or 3rd guy did an alignment? If so I think the alignment is off or you have a bent part. I don’t know what else to say except someone qualified needs to check the front end and possibly a four wheel alignment-it could be out of align from the factory like mine was. Second issue is still the tire which I think should be replaced. Is it possible the car was out of align from the factory which wore a pattern in the tires already so that when the tire was rotated it now pulls? Time to take the bull by the horns if you don’t want to deal with this for months. Put the tire back on the front and see if it pulls. Get a front end inspection from a frame shop and a 4 wheel alignment, and replace the tire.

It might be related to torque steer.

Then another question: Does it “pull” only while accelerating in a turn?

Hi i might be using incorrect terms.

Its not so much a pull (a drift) as it i sa wheel jerk. Only on turns, never straight line.

I just drove for 30 minutes. I had previously inflated the tires in back which were slightly lower. The L side turns very tight and precise, the right feels relatively floppy, loose, and before the tire inflation it was overtly jerking once in awhile on turns.

As i said before i never noticed any turning problems until the rotation and rebalancing. I am pretty sure i would have noticed this before considering i was so hyper vigilant of the car after i bumped the curb. Also, inflating back tire a little bit did help reduce it. Just drove for 30 minutes making R turns then L to compare. Steering wheel did not jerk, but am observing a relative “looseness” on R side. L side, never happens, much more tight.

Also if drive over uneven ground, wheel kinda jerks like its loose, but car doesnt move.

Is it possible if the wheel/tire is actually damaged, turns could gtetworse if rotated to the back? Seems unlikely, but i’m wondering maybe if the tire is lower/smaller its causing R sided turns to be less precise.

I would think its a suspension problem, except it was already inspect and the turns seemed quite perfect until the rotation.

I only took it to 2 guys. First one realigned (out of alignment), second one confirmed alignment is fine.

My dealership did supposedly check suspension system, which was found to be okay.

This is literally a brand new car so there i sno wear on the tires to speak of. Its not even 300 miles on the car.

I think i may be using wrong terms. It’s not “pulling” as in driving to one side or other - straight line, perfect. It’s turning the wheel jerks a bit. As i stated i inflated the rear tires which were relatively underinflated (previously the front tires) that seemed to help. Now its no longer really jerking on turns, no matterspeed. But still noting L turns are more tight, R kinda looser, less tight.

I swear i didnt notice this until the tire rotation. Maybe it was there the whole time and i was preoccupied with the vibration. I doubt it though because it was definitely way worse until i inflated the tires some in back. IDK maybe they need to be relatively inflated more than the front (as was the configuration before rotation).

I think you are letting paranoia take over. Do you have someone who can drive this thing and tell you what they feel? Just tell them it doesn’t feel right to you and don’t tell them what you feel.

3 Likes

I think this is possible i’m definitely high strung about this given hit curb first day.

Both mechanics thought car was fine. Although second mechanic was able to reduce the vibration after rebalance.

I’m also very sure the wheel jerk is real, but after i inflated the rear tires slightly i havent really noticed it. Now just noticing subtle “looseness” on R turns (not as tight and precise) as the L. I’m wondering if i should inflate the rear tires to 35 and the front to 33 which is how it was before the rotation according to my gauge.

Again, what is the specified tire pressure for this car? It is on a placard somewhere, usually in the drivers door jamb.

1 Like

Go by the tire pressure placard on the door jamb, period.

2 Likes

Monday i’ll have the mechanic check the pressures, bcuz i am so high strung about this i would rather he confirm they are fine. I’ll check the recommended settings of course. Howeverthe cheap2 dollar gauge i bought told me the fronts were like 35, and the rear lower.

Didnt check door(dark now) but internet i saying 2017 corolla = 32 psi

Try the fronts at 35 and the rears at 33 psi.

Thats kinda how it was wheni checked it, suggesting before the rotation it was reversed (low 30s front, 35 in back)

You know what I’m going to recommend? Go test drive a new Corolla. Do the things on the test drive that are causing you anxiety with your car. Does the new car do it? Then your car has a problem. Else, it’s all in your head.

I say that because the idea that it pulls right in right turns being a problem is confusing. Of course it pulls to the right in right turns. If it didn’t, something would be terribly wrong. :wink:

4 Likes

My last post on the issue. You obviously have a damaged wheel and tire that a blind man can easily see. They need to be replaced. Turn it over to insurance.

I refuse to believe that suspension is unharmed based on the appearance of the damaged wheel. I’m also curious as to how this dealer “checked” the suspension for damage.

There’s the frame machine route (unlikely), the measuring of certain datum points on the chassis with a tape meaure (also unlikely), or the “Looks good from here and can’t find nothing loose Bob…” method. (More likely)

Do none of these people realize that if a new car is out of alignment after a whack like that then something is obviously bent…I rhetorically ask.

2 Likes

@shadowfax - you know what, i already thought of that, and did just this. Its how i became more certain the vibration was real. The dealer drove both my car and the other car and said they felt the same, but he’s probably afraid i’ll flip out demand a new car and leave a negative review. He is far less concerned i have maybe an issue related to hitting the curb that i probably should fix. I mean of course i’m not insane so i would never do this,

As for this new issue, forgive me i’m a little stressed (as i’ve said 80 times) and i also dont know the lingo. I thought a “pull” meant a steering wheel jerk. What i am experiencing is, when i turn my car on an angle like say to take an exit, and turning along that curve, the wheel will jerk slightly in the opposite direction. It seems to happen when making a R turn, which is the side i hit. I only noticed it after the tire rotation however. I dont know if it was there before or not, but definitely noticed it quite a bit after. Seeing as i was HYPER vigilant and drove the car 150 miles, it never happened before the front<->rear rotation, suggests 2 me it possibly related to the rotation or the balancing.

@ok4450 This is a plausible idea except the turning issue, seems to have either worsened or started entirely after rotating the affected tire to the back.
I can say i drove 150 miles with the “problem” wheel on the front and i never experienced a steering wheel jerk.

After the front to back rotation, driving for 30 minutes it will kinda happen 2 or 3 times. Thats far more frequent.

Here’s my alignment specks. You can see the tire out of alignment was the R front which is where i hit it. However they were able to align it, so i assumed the out of alignment was from the impact, but that doesnt necessarily mean something is damaged. Again i’m not SAYING it CANT be damaged, all i’m saying is if i understand so far, out of alignment from a curb to the tire doesnt necessarily mean damage happened, all it means is its not aligned. Otherwise, any time the car was out of alignment, it means its damaged, which is clearly not true.

I agree with you the dealership might have done nothing at all; according to new mechanic, they lied about balance, so why not lie about inspecting suspension. I’m gonna ask the second guy if i can pay him to do his own inspection since i noticed the jerking on turns. Although, as stated what i cant figure out is, if the problem is the wheel, why did it get noticed only when rotated to the back? It happened 0 times rotated to the front; rotated to the back, the turns on R side are “loose” and not as tight in general, and i noticed it jerk opposite direction a few times Weird.

@insightful sorry i didnt answer this before. I think “pull” is the wrong term, its not like a drift toward other side. It’s more like, the steering wheel will s lightly jerk the other way on a turn. Its a little alarming when it happens. Imagine going along a right leaning curve, and then the wheel just kinda slightly jerks left.

I notice it MOST on curves that are at an angle. If making 90 degree turn like city street, wont happen, but i noticed it a few times on angles like 45degrees or so such as curving along an exist.

Going in a straight line, its perfect. There is no real drift other than my steering wheel not being perfectly straight before removing my hands.

The issue is worst on an angle going right between 0 and 45 degrees. If i make a normal 90 degree turn like city traffic, i will notice it feels less solid and precise than the left sided turn, but so far the wheel never overtly jerked. It happens rarely, and i only noticed it since the tire rotation. Drove it 150 miles with the “bad” wheel and this never happened.

I dont know if the bad tire in the back can contribute to this, but its very odd i didnt notice it at all beforethe rotation.

Insurance companies rarely pay for replacement wheels now, scratched wheels are normally refinished, we have 5 techs that refinish wheels.

This sort of thing is torture for the average line tech, this is a vehicle that cannot be fixed. The vehicle was aligned then checked again, the wheel balance was checked then re-balanced, yet the problems only get worse. There was likely nothing wrong with the car, just paranoia.

1 Like

@Nevada_545
I agree insurance claim is really extreme lol, my deductible is $500, a whole wheel is less than that. This idea is as odd as saying my wheel is damaged just because it was bumped out of alignment.

As for paranoia,i’ve said many times i’m high strung and under stress given hit curb first day.
The rebalancing fixed the vibration. I only said there MAY be residual vibration, or it could just be vigilance.

I was the one happy about the improvement in vibration. It was OTHER people insisting my wheel is damaged “cuz i still might be feeling vibration”.

As for the jerk to l when turning r, this happened after secondmechanic not 1 time did it happen before. I dont know why,but i do intend to drive on it and see what happens. Cant imagine why that would start now.