Hinda civic 2000 coupe

I was driving my car on the freeway all of a sudden it lost electricity power. car did not turn off on me but lights went dim. Car started to bog and struggle to accelerate. I jumped started it and it seemed to accelerate well, and lights went back to normal. But after disconnecting it. Car went dim again. Will it be my battery or my alternator??? Please help

Could be either one. You can have it tested, usually for free, at many auto parts stores such as Autozone.

Clean and tighten the connections at the battery. Otherwise, the only other wisdom I have is that batteries fail a lot more often than alternators.

Its your alternator dying… You proved this theory out when you jump started your vehicle…it improved for a while because that jump charged your batt…then the batt drained down again.

You will find that the alternator is in its intermittent dying phase (brushes probably). Also the alt is more than likely the original…and at this point in time, owes you nothing.

Just my 2 cents

P.S - Beware of cheapo BS alternators from parts stores as they would be a serious downgrade in quality as far as parts go. That Denso Alt of yours is fully rebuildable… So buy another Denso new or rebuilt, you will be glad you did.

1 Like

Another idea, if you have a volt meter: Before first start of the day battery should measure about 12.6 volts. Immediately after starting the engine, 13.5-15.5 volts.

Honda’s of that era have a reputation for problematic fuel pump relays. When those fail the symptom is the engine won’t run, but the other electrical stuff like the radio will usually continue to work.