HIGH Mileage Club

Make, model, and engine, please.

Most of my cars were company cars traded in at about 60K miles. I bought a couple for them for personal use. I got about 150K on a '77 Olds Cutlass S with a 350 4bbl. That was a very solid car.

I had a '98 Volvo V70XC with just over 200K miles on it. I bought it Dec. 2003 at 160K and had it for 5 years as my “winter” car. Just awesome in snow, super comfy, and horribly expensive to repair and maintain. Still looked and felt like a new car when I sold it.

The highest miles on current cars is 117K on an '01 Toyota Sequoia. But with 2 other cars and now retired don’t rack up the miles like I used to. I think 200K on the too expensive to keep Volvo might be my best effort.

My '03 Civic purchased new is at 107K miles and gets the most miles per year. Since I never expect to buy another car this one could get beyond 200K miles - in about another 10 years.

Actually, several neighbors of mine got very high mileage out of their Taurii (plural of Taurus) :slight_smile: although they no longer own those vehicles.
One was a 90 model that a lady drove in a 50 mile commute every day and she had well over 300k miles on that one when she got rid of it.

Another neighbor bought a 97 Taurus with about 20k miles on it and the wife put another 225k miles on it before trading it off. Considering her driving habits that would be equivalent to about 500k miles. She is hxxx on wheels and I would not even want to own a car that had her fingerprints on it.

Many of the 70s/80s era Big Three cars are bashed for a number of reasons but I’ve had pretty good luck with them. My parents (both deceased) bought a 78 Caprice wagon way back when (350 Oldsmobile engined one) and it was eventually retired as a family car. They kept this car around to use to carry bric-a-brac back and forth to the lake property as it was a full-size wagon with a ton of room in the back.

It was still running and driving at 410k miles when they sold it for a couple hundred bucks. There’s a kicker behind this one, believe it or not.
The engine and transmission had never been touched and most amazing of all it had never had the carburetor overhauled or had an HEI problem.

A fuel pump, water pump, alternator, couple of U-joints, and an assortment of garden variety maintenance things (belts, thermostat, etc) was all it ever needed. The only major issue was the A/C compressor dying at somewhere around 325k miles.
The never needed to be overhauled Quadrajet was the part that alway surprised me.

My 95 Stratus owned since new is still chugging along approaching 180K with surprisingly no major repairs. except the head gasket that was fixed under warranty when it had less then 30k.

Also had a 1970 Chevelle Malibu with a 307 that had 185K on it when I got rid of it. It needed a new interior and I was poor at the time. Ran fine though.

And a 1980 Chrysler New Yorker with a 360 V8 that was at almost 200K. Rust and a tranny leak that I didn’t feel like fixing did it in. That one was bought used for a song and never let me down.

Before age and maturity got a hold on me I could be pretty intimidating at times. I treated my car right but since I used it for work I think the car knew not to upset the apple cart.

I know 1st & 2nd gen Tauruses had trans issues but my 98 was a cross between the General LEE and a swiss watch (:

I currently drive an '89 Accord with just over 525,000.  I bought it new in August 1989 and am the only driver, original clutch.  Gets 30 mpg all the time, "uses" about 1/4 quart or oil between changes at 3000 miles, I follow the maintenance schedule the the owners manual pretty close, shorten it when I've done some hard driving, extend it when it's mostly highway.  Body rust isn't all that bad as I keep up with it, fixing stuff as it rusts . . . but eventually that will be what kills it, the motor sounds great and it drives and runs really nice.  Rocketman

And the A/C is so cold during the Summer that you have to turn it off after a while. Rocketman

Well, what remains of the original -68 Morris Minor Pick-up that I am using as my daily driver has reached somewhere north of 400k miles, I do not know how much because i have only had it for 20 years, but since -77 the recorded mileage is 643.981 km. of which around 400k is with me. But as the engine is a slightly modified MG Midget engine (and this is not it’s second engine), the gearbox is a 5-speed Ford Sierra box, the front brakes are disc’s from a Morris Marina (as opposed to drums) plus hundreds of other modifications - next to come is aircompressor and a 220 volt outlet and airbags on the rear axle - I can hardly call it a factory car.
If You want to see a car that has racked up a decent amount of miles, then look at:

1989 Toyota Pickup, 22R.

I have 1998 Ford Explorer XLT SOHC 6. I turned over 308,000 last month. Bought it with 118 on it and so far I have put 2 new heads, 2 transmissions (one recently) and just the general maintenance. Compression is good and it runs strong. Not to bad for an EXPLODER. Can anyone beat that?

I bought an 83 Camry, 5 spd manual with AC. The owner had removed both brake pads and installed one new one and drove it that way. I bought a new rotor. Hooray! A new part. I got a caliper at Bedlo Auto Recycling (I think), installed it and gravity bled the front brakes. I replaced a missing bolt on the exhaust pipe. I drove it about 16,000 miles and sold it at 255,000 miles. I’m sorry, I got the car for free. It needed a four wheel alignment. Oddly, it got 28 MPG locally and 29 highway.

1987 Honda Accord - 340k miles.
1990 Nissan Pathfinder - 305k miles
1996 Honda Accord - 240k miles…Gave it to Niece in 07…now has over 300k miles.
1998 Nissan Pathfinder - I drove to 270k miles…Daughter drove it for another 50k miles…Sold it to her ex boyfriend who last I knew was still driving with and it had over 390k miles.

All vehicles were original engines and transmissions…and I’ll bet I put a total of no more then $1000 in repairs (not counting scheduled maintenance) for all the vehicles TOTAL…And my wifes 1996 Accord being the most reliable…Total of $4 in repairs.

Mine 2 aren’t worth talking about (124K and 125K), however, I ran across a 96 Toyota Pickup (hilux, I think it was) at the shop the other day, and it was just over 1,000,000, and looked great. The motor had finally given up and was being replaced. The rest of the truck was original.

Anyone watch “Top Gear”? It shows on BBC America. On the set is a beat up Toyota pickup. They tried and tried to kill that truck, and couldn’t. Ran it into about everything you can think of. They even drove it off the top of a 4 story building. Axles are broken, it leaks like a sieve, and it still “goes” under its own power. If I could find a link for the show they had, I’d post it. It was pretty amazing what they did to it. And it runs.

My '88 Accord LXi 5-speed had 219k miles and 21 years on it when I let it go.
It ran great, didn’t burn oil and the interior LOOKED great, but…
It smelled ‘old’ and my wife didn’t like getting in and out of its low seat.
Then I loaned it to a friend for a couple of weeks.
He drove it to the golf course and smoked cigars in it.
Sold it to another friend for $500 and it now has 260k, but the power steering is stiff until it warms up.

My mother had a '87 Dodge Diplomat cop car several years ago. I pulled the original 318 around the 400k mile mark and installed a used replacement. The original motor had the original timing chain, which showed nearly 2 inches of deflection. It ran, but had a stalling issue which improved somewhat with the new engine. That car got scrapped for a few reasons. One is that my mother pretty much gave up on driving due to health, the car was getting quite rusty, and it still had a serious stalling and lack of power issue due to the junk lean burn system. I tried to convince my father to let me strip it of its lean burn system and install a normal carburetor and normal ignition system, but he refused, saying “that’s not the way the factory made it”. I know based on the 180 psi compression readings I got out of that 318 before I installed it that if I had trash-canned that junk lean burn and electronic carb that that car would have been a tire fryer. Instead, my mom got back a car with a not-quite-so-bad stalling issue and slightly improved power. That was eight years ago, and my father is finally starting to figure out that I might just know what I’m talking about when it comes to cars and pretty much gives me free reign when fixing his, and he gets good results that way.

274,000(+) on a 1977 Lincoln Mark V. Original urebuilt 460 engine and transmission. I even took pictures of the dash when it had 199,999 miles and then a mile later when it was all zeroes again. I drove this car for a couple of decades and finally got rid of it because an engine knock was getting progressively worse. Rust was also starting to take a toll on the body.

A cousin just posted a picture of their dashboard on Facebook. Their Chrysler Town & Country minivan just turned over 299,000 miles. They report they have been extremely happy with the vehicle.

…and people always talk about what junk the Chrysler minivans are.

I had a 67 Chevelle Malibu with the 327. The timing chain broke at around 325k miles…

Brother owned a 1960’s Dodge Scamp with over 400k miles on that Slant 6. The body was a complete rust bucket though.