He's marrying her and one of the cars has to go

“I’m thinking he needs & wants the truck as a reminder of his manliness after driving a Prius 5 days a week…Which I don’t blame him!”

Oh, man! That’s just sad.

Any man who needs to derive his “manliness” from the vehicle he drives lacks self confidence. Maybe some sessions with a therapist are in order. Twice a week might not be overdoing it.

“nooooooooo!! Not a minivan!!!”

Not until you have 3 children. I don’t think they are practical for less than 3. Since we have 3 kids, a minivan has been great for us. Even though we are losing kids left and right (they grow up, you know), we still find it is good for moving them to and from college. But my wife’s next car - will be a car.

One guy at work says he likes his minivan; it has the same cargo space as a truck with a cap on it does. So think of a minivan as a low sitting truck that you can walk into the bed from the outside, or inside. :stuck_out_tongue:

When you have kids and money doesn’t go as far (believe me…Kids are expensive), you will appreciate the gas mileage of the Versa. I have a Versa and it is a surprisingly comfortable, useful, and heavier/more-rugged-than-it-looks car that I can get me, my wife, and all three kids into for trips to the store, etc… We have an Odyssey, and it seems to need $70 worth of gas every time we turn around. I would ditch the pickup unless there is a real need for it. While I’m at it, if you have three or more kids, you will quickly forget about being “cool” and will appreciate the utility of a good minivan…Believe me, there is a reason why they sell so well.

Then why don’t Ford OR Gm make any minivans any more ?

I couldn’t tell ya why Ford and GM don’t make them anymore, 'though I have my suspicions…Maybe vehicles such as the Ford Flex and Edge filled that gap. When we have the kids out, the Odyssey is hard to beat, and is a nice vehicle to drive as well. My twins are a handful, and the minivan has room to put enough space between them to keep the trouble to a minimum. The fuel mileage is much better than a large SUV.

Frankly, I test drove Ford and GM minivans (Windstars, Venturas, Uplanders) and compared to the Odyssey, I thought they stunk!

I owned a 2000 Ford Windstar and found it quite satisfactory. I sold it to my son who needed a better vehicle, but couldn’t afford to buy new, and bought a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander. It was also a good purchase. My son was ready to upgrade, so I sold him the Uplander. I would have purchased another Ford or Chevrolet minivan, but neither GM nor Ford make minivans. The Flex, Edge and Chevrolet crossovers won’t do the job for me because I need the sliding doors, so I bought a 2011 Toyota Sienna. It has been fine, but I can’t see that it is any better than the Windstar or Uplander. I did check out the Honda Odyssey. It would have done the job, but the Toyota Sienna is quieter and that is important to my wife. To me, a minivan is a minivan. If you have driven one, you have driven them all.

Not that I’m trying to push a minivan on our 20ish OP, but at our Golf Club, the minivan is replacing the Crown Vic among our retirees. Great seasonal travel vehicle back to their summer homes in the northeast with good capacity and outstanding for golf junkets. The grand parents too are finding it good for visits by the grandchildren who fly in for Floridian visits. Who would have thunk the geriatric crowd (at least here) would like the minivan.

“Who would have thunk the geriatric crowd (at least here) would like the minivan”.
I am a non-golfer midwestern geezer and I like the minivan. It is more comfortable for me to sit upright as I would do in a chair than to sit low and have my legs stretched straight out in front of me. I started driving minivans 20 years ago when we purchased a used 1990 Ford Aerostar. While we owned the Aerostar, we purchased a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 that had all the bells and whistles. We found on long trips that we preferred the Aerostar. Even though the Oldsmobile had a power seat, my legs would start cramping up after only 100 miles. The minivan is also handy when my son and his family come to visit, and in general, just taking people with us when we go out to eat.
For those of us “geriatrics” the minivan is much easier to get in and out.