Here is Virginia, there are some new laws going into effect July 1st…

Likely won’t be enforced by any locality south of Fredericksburg. Or at least in rural or semi-rural areas. I know two state troopers with modified Cobras that are way louder than that. As well as several county cops with louder than stock trucks. I’ve have vehicles with aftermarket exhausts for the past 25 years, I have never been stopped for a noise violation. It’s something that the local law enforcement just does care much about. And frankly the general populace of the area doesn’t either.

Of course this would also exclude all 3/4 and ton trucks, and a fair number of half-ton trucks as well. Which coincidentally, are the type of vehicles more likely to run straight pipes anyway.

Yep, as long as it passes inspection, that’s all that people care about.

This is a better piece of legislation. IMHO a more serious issue than just having a loud car/truck.

Or it could be a revenue enhancement method to better fund the local gov’t. I expect most of the “more serious crimes” discovered by stopping drivers for minor light bulb problems are things like unpaid parking tickets, expired driver’s licenses & such.

1 Like

Back about 1966 we were stopped late one night delivering kids back home after work. I think the guy had a 53 dodge or desoto or something with kinda loud exhaust. The deputy made him repeatedly hit the gas trying to get it to backfire and crackle. When it didn’t he was let go. I have seen the police head out in the direction of screeching tires and a roaring engine but don’t know if it was the pipes or careless driving that concerned them. Never stuck around long enough to know if they actually caught anyone though.

That’s a problem we have in MA and NH. Towns budgets are based on how much revenue the police can collect each year and how much of an increase the town needs for next year.

2 Likes

I suppose there are NH towns operating that way but I am intimately aware of our town’s budget (including police and fire) and there is no recognition of infraction revenue listed, or considered, as part of it.

Our towns budget doesn’t work that way either. There was an article in the Lawrence tribune a couple years ago about several towns in NH and MA that were doing it.

1 Like

Well in the news a few weeks ago was a warning if you are traveling through Oklahoma with any amount of cash. A county on I 40 just over the river has confiscated thousands of dollars of cash. Never get it back.

It could be the county or state that benefits from the revenue, not the town. In my area the state requires the courts add substantial fees to traffic fines. They say it is to increase revenue from traffic tickets to better fund the court system. Traffic court website says:

There are many reasons why the actual fine (bail) is higher than you were told.

There are fees added by the court (that the ticketing officer is unaware of) that are required by the state government.

Also, if you have prior tickets on your record, additional fees are added.

You may be told $20 at the time you get the citation, and the actual fine is $80, or you may be told $100 and end up having to pay $300.

Until you get the fine amount from the court, you won’t know the actual amount.

1 Like

Everybody gets a cut. Our town gets the lion’s share followed by the county. If it is a state road, then they get a slice as well.

I’m in California. I didn’t know that everything between here and New York was considered woke.

I think what’s happening is that conservative media talks about woke more than anyone else, this obsessing over woke, can give the false impression that woke is more occurrent than it really is.

My advice, tell the conservative media outlets you want them to cover something else you’re sick of hearing about it (are you?).

1 Like

In the meantime, here in California the gas tax just increased by $.04/gal. today (7/1/23).

1 Like

#11- Self congratulation, for checking every box on the list.

If that’s true, it’s means it’s only if the vehicle is left unattended. If they are stopping or standing then you don’t have to move over.

They’re doing this stuff to deliberately create traffic jams to make oil companies and other industries make more money, and to generally increase inefficiency. If this was actually about safety, they would have made these laws in the 70s to 90s when a whole lot of money was being put automotive safety. There are a lot of close calls now as people swerve away from the right lane when they see a stopped emergency vehicle.

I don’t think so, any vehicle, any reason anyhow, the law is intended to try and stop a person changing a tire from getting clipped, a police officer, a stranded motorist, anybody, for any reason the vehicle is stopped.

Please do not try to read into the law or what I wrote, please give way, it’s intended to keep you safe from an apparently unattended vehicle and the door suddenly opens in front of you, and to keep a stranded motorist, police, traffic safety person, anyone and everyone from getting injured of killed by and inattentive driver…

I take this as a personal challenge. In 1969, a dear friend, Al Smith, was killed Christmas Eve, on Route 87, the Northway, in upstate NY, when he went out to tow a stranded motorist. His tow truck was in front of the stalled vehicle and he was hooking up the car when the stranded car was hit from behind and my friend was crushed and killed. And since the person driving the car that cause the crash was driven by a politician in the state government, he was only charged with some minor crime and only paid a fine… he claimed he was on some “official state business” You can Google this…

2 Likes

Our city tickets go to an agency, I think they collect about 1/2 of any assessed charge.

1 Like

My favorite tow guy, the one that would tow me home 50 miles for $100, gave the business up. Just before that he said he would not respond to tows on the freeway. Just too dangerous. Seemed like either a patrolman or well meaning citizen were getting mowed down on a regular basis. We discussed it here some years ago. Some attributed it to the moth drawn to the light syndrome but I don’t buy that. I think just plain not paying attention. One morning a guy had plowed into the back of chase dot truck. You know with all the warning signs and collapsible containers in the back. Just plain day dreaming.

3 Likes

Maryland just had a cost of living increase in the gas tax. A few years ago the state legislature enacted gas tax hikes tied to inflation. While taxes are always unwelcome, someone has to pay for road repairs and improvements.

1 Like

In NJ, the rate for the gas tax is tied to revenue that is collected from fuel sales. If fuel consumption is down for some reason (like Covid), it requires that gas taxes be raised to make up for the drop in revenue.

The same people who complain about an increase in the gas tax would also complain if the roads weren’t repaired, so…

2 Likes

These are the new fuel tax rates in Virginia.

Notice that some do not go up a full cent; I wonder if the price at the pump will be reflected with an 8/10 of a cent rather than the standard point Nine?

If I was a lawyer, I might consider a Class Action Law Suit, it the retailers take the extra one tenth of a cent as profit and pretend it’s all tax… We’ve often wondered why they just do not round the cent up…

tenor (1)

I just can’t keep up in Minnesota so can’t say for sure what the increase is. We blew through a two billion dollar with a b surplus, and still had to raise taxes and add a 50 cent delivery fee. They did everything they could muster to cut the delivery fee down from 75 cents. I used to have a cartoon on my bulletin board of a tornado and the caption no man, woman, or child is safe when the legislature is in session. Stay tuned for next year, although not a budget year.