Helping friend with 2011 Nissan Cube - CVT transmission might be out

By launch gear, do you mean a low-range for starting out? It is my understanding that many of these are a two speed automatic coupled to the CVT so I guess that is what the low gear is all about.

I get the feeling that the Toyota design might be completely different than what Nissan uses from what others have mentioned here.

As for the car in question, it is waiting to be towed to a shop so the transmission can be evaluated. There is some hope the fluid is simply needing a change and it will come back to life since it has NEVER been done. Odds are the damage is done and the mileage seems about right for a failure.

A rebuilt trans is $3k. Plus install. People spend lots on repairs sometimes. Or, move on.

I think she is going to have a new unit installed. It is cheaper than buying a car right now, the rest of the car is in good shape, and she likes it. She might move the car along in a year after she saves a little more money for a down payment. At least it will be worth something in trade.

Fixing the car, and keeping it would be smarter. If the original transmission lasted for 11 years, it stands to reason that a properly remanufactured unit should last at least 8 or 9 years, which is more than sufficient to recoup the cost.

That is what everyone is thinking. It probably got towed to the shop yesterday to see if it is something small or if it needs a new transmission.

Can you even rebuild/reman a CVT? I was under the impression these were toast as everything wears into other parts so you cannot easily mix old and new parts. I guess the casing could be re-used but that is it.

Are there really any other weak links in these Nissans? All I hear about is the CVT.

Nissanā€™s seem like they are pretty robust for economy cars. To avoid the CVT issue, just get the manual transmission version instead, should be good to go. Other than the CVT, I donā€™t recall much in the way of built-in problems for Nissan compared to other makes. As vehicles start having more and more gadgets and gizmos, got to expect problems with those. Nissan probably has their share with stuff like electric door locks, windows, sunroofs, electronic stability control, ABS, cameras, variable valve timing, etc. Of course thereā€™s the airbag issue, but thatā€™s common among all makes. Nissan did have a bit of an emissions test scandal as I recall. Not sure how Nissanā€™s paint compares to other makes? My friend got rid of her Nissan b/c the paint was shot. But paint on that car not well maintained either.

The Most Common Nissan Problems | GetJerry.com .