Help

My 2004 Freelander is over heating for the 2nd time in 30 days. I have been told by the dealership that it is more than likely the engine. Could this not have been diagnosed on the visit last month when the the valve was fixed?

You’re going to need to be a lot more descriptive. What valve was fixed? And why would you suspect a shop would find an overheating problem while fixing something else? What is the missing info? What got it into the shop to begin with?

When does it overheat? Sitting still? Highway driving? Any old time? What has the coolant level been like? Has it been low? Did you check it? When was the last time the cooling system was serviced? Has the thermostat ever been replaced?

What exactly do they figure is wrong with the engine? Saying that “it is the engine” is true by definition. The engine is overheating. So what about the engine do they figure is causing the overheating?

…and most of all, why are you taking it to a dealer? Unless it is for a warranty or recall you can take it to any good local, independent shop. At the moment I suggest you thumb your way through the yellow pages for something like a radiator shop - one that specializes in cooling systems. Avoid corporate chain operations. You want a local owner-operated shop.