Help!

I have a 2002 Caravan that recently had a radiator replaced. The fluid from the back up coolant area keeps going low to none. I did have some issues when it went dry this summer, but have since kept an eye on it and levels up. When it went dry, it would not switch gears and revved high, while the speedometer went berzerk. I let my foot off the pedal and it went back to normal. I have been doing this for months now, because it only acts up occasionally. Today, it stopped switching gears, altogether, and I checked the fluid and it seemed fine. It seems to be stuck in first gear, as 20 mph is my max. The speedometer circled several times and, while hoping I would land on “Go,” it stopped at the very bottom and is now at 80 with the vehicle off. I am poor, obviously, or I would have spent the money on a mechanic this summer. Please assist with some advice, other than shotgun.

MMittles

I’m sorry, I was hoping someone else would post, but I think your tranny is kaput. Perhaps Transman will check in with some suggestions.

That’s not exactly what someone wants to hear. The vehicle is not even worth the amount of a transmission overhaul! 190,000 miles. AAAAAHHHHHH.

Seriously, thank you for your response.
MM

Are you still adding anti-freeze to the overflow bottle bottle? You should not add to a higher level than 1/2 in the overflow bottle.
Does your Caravan have a four cylinder engine or a V6 engine?
The problem with the speedometer may could be caused by a wiring problem or a vehicle speed sensor problem. Here’s a link showing the speed sensor: http://www.autozone.com/R,990743/vehicleId,2721001/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,1140/partType,00430/shopping/partProductDetail.htm