Help with Tire Rotation Schedule

My 2016 Buick Verano front wheel drive, that I purchased one year ago with 8500 miles now has 13000 miles. At 12000 miles I had the tires rotated believing that this had never been done although the maintenance schedule called for it at seven or 8,000 mi. The rear tires (that were moved from the front) now had slightly less tread than the front tires. Recently, we had a tire failure several weeks after a pothole hit. The sidewall was torn and the front passenger tire needed replacing. Tire Rack and my mechanic insisted it was only necessary to replace the one tire because the mileage was low.

Accepted wisdom is that when not replacing all 4 tires, a new pair should go on the rear of the car.

The new tire is now on the passenger rear side and matched on the driver side with the tire from the driver side front which now measured the most tread. This tire had been on the driver side rear when the car was purchased at 8500 miles. (See diagram below).

The build dates, if I read the codes correctly: Tire A (see diagram) is mid-2016, Tire B and the blown tire were made in mid-2015, and Tire C the build date seems to be scratched out or non-existing. The new tire has a build date of 2018.

All the tires are matching Continentals. My replacement tire from Tire Rack is listed as original equipment to the car.

I’ve read that the driver side front tire will get slightly more wear than the passenger side front tire in a front drive car.

In the hopes of getting the tires to match treadwear and possibly be replaced all at the same time in the future: I’m now thinking that at the next scheduled servicing (as early as late September) I should cross the new tire on to the drivers front and the front tires (B&A) straight back to the rear.

I wrecked a tire when I had 1600 miles on it and just replaced the one. If I would have had 12,000 I think I would have replaced the pair. My tire dealer insists on 6000 mile rotations. That’s what I do front to back. Now I had less than 40,000 on my original tires and replaced them so I just think if you are so concerned, you should just think about replacing all of them instead of trying to equalize the tire wear with what you have. Then rotate them at 6000 to equalize the wear. Original tires don’t wear that well.

Do you know the actual tread depth of each tire? If not, tread depth gauges are cheap, so maybe you’d want to pick one up to help sort this out.

Yes, get the tread depth measurements. For rotation purposes, tires within 2/32nds of an inch of each other can be considered the same.

Based on what you’ve told us so far and not having the actual tread depths, I think you need to rotate the tires very soon - say 1,000 miles. The tires are going to probably be just a bit over 2/32nds different front to rear. If so, run that for 8,000 miles after the rotation, then rotate again, and continue the pattern.

If you want to try to get even wear front to rear, delay the rotation when the deeper treaded tires are on the front. Most FWD cars wear the front tires over twice as fast as the rears…